Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just don't know what to do!

1. Back To Top    #1

I just don't know what to do!

Last year was my first year of pool ownership. Lucky I found this site before I found the pool store. Last year I closed my pool unsure if I was in the middle of a problem or not. Opened this year and immediately drained my pool 3/4 because my cya was off the charts. Balance everything, and maintain proper levels. Start in on weekend pool maintenance 3 weeks ago and notice my water isn't as crisp as it usually is. Test my water everything is in range but on the low side, rebalance, swim, cover back on. Next day same thing, only now I have "dust" on the bottom. I slammed my pool passed all three. Got a little carried away one night and raised my FC level to 17, the same night I passed all three. 4 days go by no dust water I'd crisp, I'm checking everyday. Chlorine drifts back down hits 8, dust is back. Start the slam all over again. I can't get rid of it and I'm starting to get upset. What do I do? My water looks great. Please help.

FC 12
    CC .5
    TA 100
    PH ?
    CYA 30ish
    f18 ft 48 in deep, 7600 gallon, round above ground vinyl pool. Hayward pump, sand filter. First time pool owner. Proud owner of a brand new TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: I just don't know what to do!

Have you tried adding DE to your sand filter and brushing? Brushing a lot?

If your sure you passed SLAM, that would be my next step. Add DE to the sand filter. See this link. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

But also, brush a lot to get that dust up and in the skimmers to the filter.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Feel the sides and bottom of the pool. Do they feel slimy at all?

4. Back To Top    #4

I have been brushing, usually twice a day. I feel no slim or slickness.... just dust. I think there was more today than any other day.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a vacuum?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, I vacuum twice a week. This dust won't suck up. It only disappears when I brush, into a little cloud.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Have you tried adding DE to your sand filter?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

No, I will but shouldn't my filter be able to filter this out?

9. Back To Top    #9

Some other things to consider:
    - Are you using a skimmer sock in your pool side skimmer(s)?
    - If the white "dust" is dead algae carcass, the DE might grab the finer stuff getting past the sand. Sand filters are great, but some of the very fine particles can get through which is why the DE may help.
    - You mentioned the cover. Have you cleaned under the cover? If it had algae under it, it could be re-introducing contaminants to the water when you cover it.
    - Also, do you remove the cover long enough each day for the pool to breathe and expose the water to the sun for good oxidation?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

I tried to clean the cover as best I could the first cover the first go round. Hate to admit that I sprinkled some bleach around then hosed it off. (Not very thorough) I am gonna add the de hopefully this week. And I will look for a skimmer sock while I'm at it. The cover comes off at least 5 days a week. I have 3 little ones. The oldest is part fish, sorry she just corrected me, mermaid. Lol . Her best friends pool filter went down, it's now a swamp.... could the girls have brought it back with their swimsuits?

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes actually. If the organics were bad enough they can cross-contaminate. Also depends on how vulnerable your pool might have been at the time. Several factors come into play. Often times we advise folks to cleanse their swimwear and pool toys during a SLAM just in case. Either way, keep us posted and let us know if you need more assistance. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I was having similar problems for a brief time. I found there was a small amount of residual algae left under my stairs. Once I fashioned up a towel on a Swifter handle to scrub it, my water got its sparkle back. My brush wouldn't reach, nor could I reach my hand in underneath them. I've been adding that rask into my regular brushing routine.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

13. Back To Top    #13

So my plan is
    -clean all swimwear and soak toys
    -remove ladder inspect, scrub, and clean area underneath
    -clean sand filter and add de
    - skimmer sock (can I use panty hose?)
    -clean solar cover more thoroughly
    -after I pass overnight test bump FC up to mustard level just in case.

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks good. Yes, you can use panty hose. If you pass the 3 SLAM criteria, you may not need to do the MA level shock, but if you chose to do so, make sure to only do it for 24 hours from the time you passed the regular SLAM. Good luck!

15. Back To Top    #15

I bet it is coming from the ladder, inside the ladder. I just had my kid give it a once over, there are holes drilled in the bottom so the water will weigh it down and I'm thinking, I'm gonna take it out tonight. I'm willing to bet that is where my problem is.

16. Back To Top    #16

Can't believe it took me this long. Jeez. Lol

17. Back To Top    #17

Well I found it inside the ladder. I taped the bottom hole and have it filled with bleach water and the top rungs soaking in a bleach water. Any suggestions as to how long I need to leave them soaking.

18. Back To Top    #18

If you can't actually disassemble the ladder rungs, I would leave the entire thing out and soak those things in bleach as long as your pool is in SLAM mode. Do all you can to eliminate that safe-zone for algae in the future. Very common trouble spot. Good job.

19. Back To Top    #19

I'm hoping I pass the oncl tomorrow night!!!! So relieved!

20. Back To Top    #20

Good luck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast