Fabulous Forum!

Illupo

Jul 3, 2016
Scottsdale
I am 2 weeks new to this forum and am AMAZED at all the great info, helpful hints and PROFESSIONAL advice you all have to offer. Like many, I have been struggling to balance PH, keep chlorine up and the water clear. The "professionals" at the pool stores leave me more confused every time that I go in and always want to sell me something. I have the 4 way test kit but the PH test does not look like any of the colors on the tester...kind of a light amber! Attempting to get a clearer picture I took a sample in again to have a "professional" do it. I was told it looks "GREAT!". What??? I specifically asked about CYA as I have just discovered the chlorine/cya connection. Again, it was "great". (in the range I think is the term he used) After both a drop test AND a strip test, I can't get a specific number on the test results so that I can fix what is wrong?

HOW DOES THIS HELP ME???? He said my phosphates were 500, "way too high" and wanted to sell me a $34.00 quart of remover. I passed.

Thanks to all of you, I now realize that I need a decent testing kit and learn how to accurately test my pool, MYSELF! I've decided on the TF 100, based on the fact that everyone here can quote specific numbers when they discuss pool performance. My question is the battery operated stirrer really necessary for an additional $35.00?

This won't be my last question I am sure but I feel like I now know where to get the right answers!!!

Yes the SpeedStir is well worth it, even if just for the amusement! But on a serious note just imagine having to put one drop and then shake to stir then another drop shake to stir so on and so forth 25 or even more times! Some of these tests can take a lot of drops and stopping to rattle that measuring tube looking for a color change could get tedious. Anyway if you buy the kit alone you aren't over $100 so you end up having to pay for shipping which puts you close to the amount you would have paid for the kit with the SpeedStir added. Also if you do decide to add the SpeedStir do it from the "details" drop down on the kit page because it gives you a bit of a discount. Mine was $105 (SpeedStir added) with free priority mail to my door in 3 days. Hope this helps.

type "SpeedStir" in the search option and see what people say about it. It really is a must.

Lucky you found this place prior to the phosphate remover. I got duped and didn't find TFP until after. They've saved me lots of money, which I chose to donate back to them for the amazing advice and hassle they've saved me. It's a small drop in the bucket compared to what a pool store would charge me and it goes towards Starving Moderators I'm told. ;)

If you feel inclined to give back, Donate Here

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.