Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter inlet leaking. Proper way to repair?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter inlet leaking. Proper way to repair?

A little water is leaking out of the inlet. I've tried to tighten it, but it won't tighten any more. Is there a seal or gasket? Would appreciate any advice I fixing.

Thanks

35k gallons, in ground, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Bioguard, Mineral Springs salt water, Centurion for Pac-Fab 1hp

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Filter inlet leaking. Proper way to repair?

take it apart and there should be an O ring inside on the pipe.. if it is missing you can order a new one.. if it is there use "pool lube" on the o ring and put it back together
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I'll give it a shot
    35k gallons, in ground, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Bioguard, Mineral Springs salt water, Centurion for Pac-Fab 1hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Do I need to unhook the inlet and and outlet then move the filter canister (not sure what it's called) to make room to replace the o ring? Local pool store said I needed to buy the inlet and outlet attachments for $65. Said the o ring wasn't available by it self. Must be a place to order the o ring separately?

Thanks for any help
    Bbp

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks again

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright, so after taking it apart. O rings look fine, I lubed them and put all back together. It looks like it's leaking at the tank.

Would appreciate advise on fixing .

Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Another question, is there a diagram that shows how each piece fits together? I have the O ring on the piece that is not attached to the tank. I'm not even sure if what in trying to say here makes any sense. Ugh

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like I can order bulkhead union sets. I believe the piece that attaches to the tank is leaking. Do they screw in and can be tightened? I can't really tell from the pictures I've found online.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to research and fix myself before calling a pool company to fix.

Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks like all you need are the bulkhead o-rings. Actually just the inlet one if the bulkhead fitting isn't stripped (which is unlikely).

Just take the union loose and then unscrew the bulkhead fitting from the tank, replace the o-ring, lube it up good with pool lube and screw the bulkhead fitting back into the tank. Just snug it up good to begin with. You shouldn't need it very tight in order to seal.

P.S. If you haven't tried tightening the bulkhead fitting, I'd loosen the union and tighten the bulkhead fitting a little before anything else. That may solve the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Awesome, thank you so much. Can't wait to get off work and go home and try that.

12. Back To Top    #12

Tightened, didn't work. Took everything apart, cleaned and greased the O ring. Didn't work. Going to order a new O ring and hope that works.

13. Back To Top    #13

The new o-ring will probably work, just be sure to lube the new o-ring when installing it.

Also check the bulkhead fitting all around for cracks or splits.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Seems like there should be some sort of gasket on the inside the tank. The bulkhead fitting screws directly to that piece on the inside with the attachment. Sorry for not knowing the part names. I would think a rubber gasket against the inside wall of the tank would help.

15. Back To Top    #15

Even if it leaks a little inside the vessel it really doesn't matter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

In the Industry