Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinate After Swimming?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinate After Swimming?

We had 2 of my brothers and their kids over to swim for for most of the afternoon. I tested the chlorine with my K2005 kit a few minutes after the swimming was done and was at 3-6 FC, and while the test is a bit subjective since it's a color match, 0 CC. Did I test too soon? With chlorine at that level, is shocking or boosting tonight necessary? I didn't see anything in Pool School. I'd like to do something a little more scientific than my usual method of just dumping chlorine into the pool.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinate After Swimming?

We would have to know what your CYA level is to know if you have enough chlorine or not.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh sorry. CYA tested yesterday to 60.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

At a CYA of 60 your minimum Free Chlorine should be kept above 5, your target range is 7. The target range is where your water should be first thing in the morning to remain above your minimum level by evening. Of course hot, sunny conditions with a heavy bather load can be enough to drop the chlorine at a faster rate and may require bumping the target range up a bit when the pool is heavily used.

CYA of 60 is on the high end but will require a partial water change to lower it. Be sure to avoid tablets or granular shock as that will raise your CYA even further. You should upgrade to a dpd-fas chlorine test, much easier and more accurate at higher chlorine levels. It causes the sample to change from pink to clear when you reach your level, much easier than trying to compare shades of color.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

As per the link you provided, for SWG pools (in my sig) my CYA is actually little low. I've left it low because we will be going away in a few weeks and I think its easiest to just throw a couple pucks in a floater than have somebody putting chlorine in the pool. I can;t really increase run time on the SWG, I'm pushing that as it is. my question really is how soon after heavy bather load should I be testing chlorine levels?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you don't know your pools tendencies, then you should be testing daily until you figure the pools "patterns"out.

A pool is a living thing and need attention daily.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG