Twist lock 3 prong

Jul 10, 2016
Central Ma
Had to replace pump and motor for above ground pool. (Did it myself :)) Former motor was powered with the twist lock. New Haywood 1HP does not come standard with twist, only 3-prong. Currently using a 12/3 25' extension cord to power the filter motor. (Only 10' away).

My question is:. Should I find a way to use the twist plug? I noticed home depot sells an adapter from 3 prong to twist, is that safe and efficient? Or do I hire an electrician to do their thing and convert the 3prong to twist? Can I use the twist from previous motor?

A gfci protected twist lock is preferred. But a 3 prong would work if you didn't have that extension cord in there. Look at the name plate data for the old and new motor as long as the old motor was drawing the same or more ammount of current you can take the twist ick from the old pump and swap it to the new one. It should be gfci protected tho there are a lot of above ground pump motors out there without gfci protection thanks to an old loophole in the NEC code that has since been closed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.