Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Twist lock 3 prong

1. Back To Top    #1

Twist lock 3 prong

Had to replace pump and motor for above ground pool. (Did it myself ) Former motor was powered with the twist lock. New Haywood 1HP does not come standard with twist, only 3-prong. Currently using a 12/3 25' extension cord to power the filter motor. (Only 10' away).

My question is:. Should I find a way to use the twist plug? I noticed home depot sells an adapter from 3 prong to twist, is that safe and efficient? Or do I hire an electrician to do their thing and convert the 3prong to twist? Can I use the twist from previous motor?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Twist lock 3 prong

A gfci protected twist lock is preferred. But a 3 prong would work if you didn't have that extension cord in there. Look at the name plate data for the old and new motor as long as the old motor was drawing the same or more ammount of current you can take the twist ick from the old pump and swap it to the new one. It should be gfci protected tho there are a lot of above ground pump motors out there without gfci protection thanks to an old loophole in the NEC code that has since been closed.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that something I would need to hire an electrician for?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

They are pretty easy to install but it depends on what you know about residential wiring.
    Chuck-

5. Back To Top    #5

My knowledge of wiring is quite limited. Until I am able to get someone to rewire the plug for me, which is the better solution? A three prong to twist adapter or running the extension cord?

Thank you for you help.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The twist lock adaptor would in my opinion be a better solution over running an extension cord to power a pool pump motor. So long as the voltage is the same.
    Chuck-

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to a very kind and patient person on this board, I have changed over the plug to the twist plug! Thank you so much for your help. You are a wonderful person for taking the time and energy to take me through step by step.

8. Back To Top    #8

This post makes my heart smile! Thank you to who ever you are that reached out and helped her!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit