first pool and killing it with TFP

May 12, 2016
San Antonio
First time pool owner and I'm so glad I found this site from the beginning. So far I haven't had any issues and it only takes about 5 mins a day to keep it up. Just wanted to say thanks and show it off a little bit!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 331
Thanks! Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but it has been pretty straight forward. The previous owners used a pool service and surprisingly the CYA wasn't over 100 and everything was pretty well balanced when we arrived. The Polaris is a life saver too. It took some convincing my wife that, yes, it is normal to test and add bleach every day. I'd much rather go this route than either paying a service or getting lost in a pool store. Honestly, I'm not even sure how the pool services even work with weekly servicing. Do they just bump the FC up to 20 every week and let it drift down? With a smaller pool size in a lot of direct Texas sun, the chlorine burns off crazy fast.

Honestly I'd venture to guess most pool stores use a combination of an aglaecide, which isn't dependant as much on CYA to keep algae away, and Trichlor tablets which (a bunch, and an ever increasing amount) to allow a slow release of chemicals throughout the week. So yea, a rollercoaster of sorts, high when they leave, drifting towards too low when they arrive.

None of that accounts for swimmer loads, additional "accidents" in the pool, etc. That's why people typically complain about the "chlroine" smell, which is in fact ammonia, as the chlorine combines with nasty stuff, and the stronger the smell...the more nasty that's in there. Most people just accept that stinky water, burning eyes is how Chlorine pools are.

I swear I get crazy looks when I bend over a pool, scoop some water in my hand, and bring it up to my nose and smell it, then make a note whether I think it's fairly clean or not, but once you start understanding the chemistry, it makes sense to us here on the forum.

Great looking pool btw!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.