Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy and low CYA.....???

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy and low CYA.....???

I converted my pool over to a SWCG this year and can't seem to get it sparkly clear as it was last year. I also can't keep the CYA up, we have had some rain this year but not that much, even a little dry around here. Test results from this morning were FC=4.5, PH=7.2, TA=170, CYA=20, CH=125.
    About a month ago my CYA was around 40. I have added about 6 lbs. of stabilizer since then and I am now down to 20????? I'm confused here. I even went out and bought an ammonia test kit and that came back 0. Not sure what is going on.

On a side note, I have the Hayward SWCG with the T15 cell, I have it set at 70% and run it and the pump 12 hours a day and it seems to just keep up, and I keep my pool covered during the week as it only gets used on the weekends.

Things just seem out of control.

Thanks for the help.
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy and low CYA.....???

At a CYA of 20, your SWG simply wont bw able to keep up. Get it over 50 even higher.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Disregard the ammonia kit. It has nothing to do with your lack of CYA. As Griswald says, get your CYA up to 50-70 and you can turn down your SWG.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I've added about 6 lbs. of it in the last month and it has gone down from 40 to 20, this has left me scratching my head.
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

Testing error?
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

No ,not likely. I am thinking the CYA I have been adding may be from a bad batch or something. Added the last 2 pounds and then will switch to a different brand to give that a try.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post

On a side note, I have the Hayward SWCG with the T15 cell, I have it set at 70% and run it and the pump 12 hours a day and it seems to just keep up, and I keep my pool covered during the week as it only gets used on the weekends.

Things just seem out of control.

Thanks for the help.
    Do you know your daily FC PPM loss?

At 70%, 12 hours will replace 2.6 PPM per day in the best case scenario. So even with a correct CYA, your 12 hours a day at 70% may or may not be enough. You need to know your daily FC PPM loss. In any case, your CYA should be much higher as already stated. A minimum of 60 as stated here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

See this post to calculate the run time needed but this does assume a much higher CYA as already discussed.
    Formula for SWG / Pump Runtime?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

That's a great chart/calculator. I don't lose much FC each day during the week, the pool is covered all week. On the weekends when we use it I add bleach as needed. I will update with my CYA issues as I find more out. Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Follow up: It looks like I got a bad batch of CYA. I switched brands and it started coming up like it should. The cloudiness I think was the bad CYA, it went away in a couple weeks on its own, or it was filtered out. My CYA is up to 50 and things are balancing out really nicely now, this will be good for the rest of the year, which is like 4 more weeks around here.