Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Tank Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Tank Leaking

I have a Sta-Rite Hi-Rate Sand Filter, Model T 240 BP-1. It is no longer manufactured. The tank is leaking on the seam at the collar. I've tried AquaMend epoxy putty inside and out. It seems to be holding on the inside of the tank. But, on the outside of the tank, the water pressure is too strong and it leaks through the epoxy. Any ideas about how to repair the tank without purchasing a whole new filter system? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Tank Leaking

Do you have salt in your swimming pool? in that case you may have to use a glue or epoxy for marine use...
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, my signature was not complete when I posted the issue. Its fresh water and the epoxy putty that is made for underwater use cannot adhere strongly enough to the outside of the filter tank to hold back the pressure of the water.
    2002 in ground, fresh water, 20 x 40, 3.5 to 8.0 feet deep, approximately 36,000 gallons, vinyl liner (2012), Sta-Rite sand filter (2002), Sta-Rite Intellipro variable speed pump (2015), Pentair 1.1 hp booster pump (2015), Polaris vacuum (2002).

Pool: A hole full of water where the owner throws money.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The tank vessel "flexes" when under pressure so no repair will typically work. I think you should consider a new filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Adding to what Dave said, Since it's a pressure vessel, repairs to the vessel aren't recommended.

Also those tanks are usually rotomolded and the plastics used aren't conducive to adhesives (they won't stick to it).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit