Salt Levels from Muriatic Acid

brims

Jun 14, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
I have a question about Muriatic Acid and the increase in salt levels. I saw in 1 thread where bdavis466 states that 1 gallon of MA will raise salt 250 ppm, another thread he says he has to add 1 gallon a week. I know Pool School recommends 200-400 ppm over the manufacturer's recommended range, but at that rate, one would be over that point at 2 weeks. Does the SWG care if the salt is too high? Does splashout balance this increase? I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I'll need to be on the lookout for when I get a pool.

Don't worry at all about the salt from MA. It has never amounted to anything that caused problems from what I've read here.

We often point it out to folks that it exists when they are planning to add salt and are doing the math and think the pool is starting at zero salt since they never purposely added it before. After years they may have some so should be aware so they don't go adding more additional salt then they need.

Also- not everyone needs MA. I add it at most twice a summer, hardly enough to count. Others with new plaster pools often add it weekly but it levels off as the plaster cures.

Every gallon of 31.45% MA added to 10,000 gallons of pool water increases chloride (Cl-) levels by 35.5 ppm.

Some SWGs can tolerate high salt levels and still generate. Some shutdown with high salt. It all depends on the manufacturer.

Ok, well then it's just something that I'm going to have to check once I get a pool. It will be a new build plaster pool so I'll have to deal with the curing process and my plan is to go with a cartridge filter so I won't have any backwashing, and in Los Angeles there's only a couple of inches of rain a year, probably won't even enter the equation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.