DIY Cinder Block ABOVE ground pool

Long time lurker, and have been through a good few threads looking for ideas and information when it comes time to start construction. Most everything will be done by myself and a friend, aside from the pouring of the base if we go that route. The plan is for the pool to be mainly above ground, due to the location and design. We are going to go down about a foot, and do the rest above ground due to rock and draining issues. The varying depths will follow the slope we will be building on, and the exterior of the block will be imestoned to mimic a old cistern. This will also not be a sure or rectangle design, but more of a kidney-ish shape, and will be around 25x40, give or take. So here are the first round of my questions:

With the cinder block, rebar, cement, and limestone, will there be enough strength to support the load of the water?

Does the cement base need to be poured before the walls are erecred, or can the walls be used as a type of form?

And if I am doing a liner, opposed to a coating or tile of some sort, does there necessarily need to be a cement base?

Just my two cents, I am not a structural engineer, but if you do cinder block w/ rebar and fill the cores with a concrete/mortar, I think you would be safe,,assuming your not going 5+ feet (tall) outside of the ground. Obviously the taller the wall, the more pressure and weaker the wall would be.
As for the base, I assume you are going to pour a footer for your block? They recommend you go below the freeze line, your in TX so that might not be very deep. Nonetheless, you could put the walls up, and pour inside - that is the way they do most basements. But to the other poster, concrete floor is pretty rough - on the liner and the feet. Vermiculite is another option, or sand. But if you want to pour concrete, I would probably dig down a foot, pour in a 12" wide, 12" deep footer,,, put up the block,, pour the floor.

Sand base is what I was hoping for, and that is what I will more than likely do. The footing is going to be the hardest part, due to the slope. I will need to dig out, and have varying levels of the wall. I was planning for one area of the wall to be about 6 feet, but it the weight will be too great I will change that plan. I need to go out and get a solid design, and will post pictures of the intended area as well

3psi per foot of depth against the walls. 5' is 15psi pressing out at the base. Interesting concept, and total opposite of galvanized steel, which can withstand lots of pressure outward, but little pressure downward. Blocks would be the opposite, except for the strength inherent in the circle (flat concrete basement walls can fail with 1psi of water pressure or less because they are flat). Quite a bit to consider!

CHAD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.