Foreclosure Green Pool

Jun 22, 2016
Tecumseh MI
A little background: We bought our house a year ago. It was a foreclosure and sat empty for 3 years. The pool is IG and did have a cover on it. Although there was a layer of crud and cat tails growing on top of it. After further investigation, we discovered a large hole in the cover. 3 years of crud in the bottom of that thing! Last fall, we pulled the cover off and recovered it with a tarp. In spring, we had a friend (who works on pools) check everything out. The filter was bad, pipes and lines were good. Being busy with other things at the house, we didn't touch it until about 3 weeks ago. We took out the old filter that didn't work and replaced it with the current filter: Laser II-192 Club pro sand filter. My dad actually found a post on here about a similar pool situation (Big shout out to Swampwoman!). So I read that and have been following that and posts on here and using the pool math. We have been scooping large debris and crud out of it for the past 2 weeks and started the shocking process. I got it to be pretty clear but cloudy (see attached pictures). And now we are kind of at a stand-still. It isn't getting clearer and there is a ton of slimy crud that settles to the bottom, and then when I scoop debris, it gets stirred back up and turns to a brownish color again. I know we need to start vacuuming but we have just been working on getting the large debris out of it. There was a TON. Still getting pretty big scoops of slimy-leafy-goodness. I am assuming most of this sludge is dead algae? And dirt of course. But I could be wrong since I am a newbie!

This mornings test results were:
CH-5-10 (that's as far as my test goes, trying to keep this level up)
pH- 7.2
TA- 220-230
CH-160-170
CYA- less than 20, so 0

To adjust these stats, I put 3 gallons of chlorine in it, 12lbs of borax, and I have a sock hanging in the return of stabilizer for the CYA. (All according to pool math)

What next?? I would love to swim in this thing before summer is over! :D

Pool pic.jpeThe transformation: about 5-7 days of shocking and scooping

Pool pics.jpe Sorry its sideways but this is after I stir it up scooping..

Welcome! First things first, you need a good test kit. Preferably a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net with the SpeedStir option. $105 shipped! But the Taylor K-2006C can be had from Amazon pretty quickly if you are in a hurry. Before you add too much to it, make sure you are getting accurate numbers. Is this a vinyl, plaster or fiberglass pool? That will have some bearing on things such as CH. Make sure to update your signature with that info as well.

Have you been running your pump at all? If so, make sure you are keeping an eye on the filter backpressure. You don't want to break you new filter. Backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% from the clean filter pressure. I would keep at it with the leaf rake and start brushing and vacuuming to waste to try to get the rest of that junk out of the bottom. Another option is a trash pump dropped into the bottom and pump some of that waste out. You will need to refill any water that you pump out but it might be easier than backwashing your filter so much. And you're going to lose that water on the backwashes anyway.

Looks like a fun challenge! You'll need plenty of liquid chlorine and some patience because you'll need to SLAM that pool to get it crystal clear. Just ask when you have questions, someone will come along and answer them for you!

In the meantime, do some reading:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started
Pool School - SLAM Shock Level and Maintain

It is a vinyl liner. We have been running the pump pretty much non-stop since we've been shocking it. And back washing frequently... refilling with the hose (we are on a well). We did rent a trash pump but we didn't get very far with it as the debris would just clog in the line. We have had better luck scooping it with a leaf rake.

For vinyl, CH is a non-issue where it is. pH is good for SLAMming. You'll eventually need to Lower Total Alkalinity using the process at that link but I believe that can wait until after you SLAM. Someone else please correct me if that is wrong. You'll need a FAS-DPD chlorine test to be able to accurately tell if you are at shock level on your FC during the SLAM so you need a good test kit pronto! Until you can get one though, I would add a gallon of liquid chlorine every day and brush/vacuum to waste as much as possible trying to get that debris out. You'll also need to check the Chlorine/CYA Chart for where to keep your FC through the SLAM and after once you have a crystal clear oasis in your yard!

You're in the right place to sort this out. You'll just have to have some patience, it will take a little while to get there. But it took a while to get in the shape it's in now too! Good luck and keep us updated as you go! Oh, and we love pics of the progress!

Maybe someone can help me out, my filter doesn't have a "waste" option. It has: Filter, Drain, Rinse, Winterize, Whirlpool, Backwash, and Test options... Which would I use to bypass the filter to get some of the dead algae out of the bottom? TIA!

So we are finally at the end of the tunnel of this swamp pool. Aside from the water being a little cloudy, it is balanced and ready to swim in. We were doing one final sweep before we jumped in today. I emptied the pump basket, primed the pump, and turned the pump back on... No suction!! It is pulling a little bit of water through but not enough to fill the pump basket and filter forcefully. I was thinking maybe the skimmer line is clogged with something? I went and bought a drain bladder, shot water through both ways and water came through both ways but no debris. And still no suction. Any suggestions??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do a backwash and see if that helps. If not then see about taking the pump apart to check the impeller. You should be able to do a search for you model of pump to show you a blow up diagram for it.

For me I take the pump basket off (after turning the breaker off in the house!!!). Once that part is off I can feel my impeller and get anything out that is stuck in it. That has always been enough to get mine going again. It is usually small leaves for me.

:kim:

- - - Updated - - -

probably dumb idea but could you check if your pool water level is high enough? If it fell too low pump won't have any water to suck in

Wonderful idea as well! Start with easy for sure!! Thanks MAX!

Also rotate your valve to drain and see if the pump will build pressure...that will indicate if you have a possible plug to the return if it blows water out on drain but not return. These pumps are centrifugal so having a restriction before or after will cause no flow and the pump will happily just sit there and spin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.