Pool Store vs. TFTestkit - testing the testers

viking68

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2010
Lake Mary, FL
Had to pick up some chlorine yesterday, so I tested the testers.

They had just tested someone else's water - no rinsing of test tubes - just "dump 'em and on to the next" (me).

I had tested just before leaving home - store is 1 mile away - same EXACT water sample:

TFTestkits Pool Store

Cl - 9.5 5.0 (they don't/won't do a drop test) (am coming down from a SLAM)

pH - 7.5 8.0

TA - 80 120

CH - 300 380

CYA - 40 40 (yeah - they got ONE right!)

So, if anybody needed any more proof of how our method works - here's a classic example. My water is sparkly crystal clear.

Of course, they offered to check for phosphates (declined) and did give me a TDS of 1600 - because, well, it's important --- NOT!

On a side note, my chlorine was being eaten up a a pretty prodigious rate - 2-3ppm/24 hours a week ago. Discovered the culprit - dang Polaris Bag! Pulled it out and soaked in chlorine for 24 hours - now the ONCLT - less than .5 ppm overnight with .75" of rain! Happy camper.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

I finally have time tomorrow to go return the stuff they sold me over winter on their "special" sale days...

I am not even bringing water to test... Don't want to bother anymore as I know the numbers will be wrong. I would bet 100 bucks my TA with them will be 40 or 50 so they will try to sell me expensive baking soda.

I will just say, half the season is over... I haven't needed any of this, Id like to return it. Should be 200 or 250 back

See what they say, and do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the side by side compare, Viking! I've been wanting to do that myself for a while. But I REALLY don't want to go to the pool store... :)

Only reason I do (go to pool store) is because it's FL and there are several stores within a couple miles of my house. 12.5 chlorine is literally available cheaper @ pool stores than anywhere else - just saw 3 gallon pack of Clorox @ BJ's for 9.91. Ridiculous. I pay $4 for 2.5 gallons. Sure, I had to pay the "deposit" on the jugs, but that was so long ago I cannot even remember how much that was - years.

Oh man, light bulb moment! I really should empty that Polaris bag, I bet that is where a lot of the chlorine loss is going!

Not only empty it, soak it like I did - full strength chlorine. So what if it shortens bag life; should replace is once a year anyhoo.

After monitoring the pool since, I know that's where the little buggers were hiding - killed 'em dead!

Not only empty it, soak it like I did - full strength chlorine. So what if it shortens bag life; should replace is once a year anyhoo.

After monitoring the pool since, I know that's where the little buggers were hiding - killed 'em dead!
I just used Pool Math to determine that 1/2 tsp of 10% liquid chlorine in 1 gallon of water would give you 30ppm chlorine. That should be more than enough to get rid of anything living in there, and be quite a bit more gentle on your equipment bag.

Just a thought.

I just used Pool Math to determine that 1/2 tsp of 10% liquid chlorine in 1 gallon of water would give you 30ppm chlorine. That should be more than enough to get rid of anything living in there, and be quite a bit more gentle on your equipment bag.

Just a thought.

I did the Pool Math for 1 gal pool size and added 1 oz. 10% bleach; result was FC 781; divide it by 12 (1oz = 2 Tablespoons = 6 teaspoons = 12 one half teaspoons) = 65 ppm. So for 32 ppm in 1 gal water, it only needs 1/4 teaspoon 10% chlorine unless I am calculating it wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.