Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slippery fiberglass pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Slippery fiberglass pool

Hey pool experts....

New fiberglass pool owner here. Ever since we put pool in( about two months ago), it has been extremely slick, causing people to slip especially on the stairs.. I have been faithfully treating my pool and taking water to be checked to verify my home kit is accurate. ( ok been reading...need a BETTER home kit...wow so much to learn...will be ordering TF 100 asap)

My levels are within the ranges etc. I don't have exact numbers off hand as I am work right now. Its a 14000 fiberglass pool, SWG, with a variable speed pump.

Water is crystal clear and beautiful!!!! Always has been. I am getting frustrated since we called the company who installed and stated we must have a water problem. They stated they had this once or twice before and gave me a number of a pool cleaning company who could test the water for even more things. Problem is nearest store is 45 minutes plus away.

Anyone have any ideas or what could be causing this?? What else should i be testing for?

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Slippery fiberglass pool

I have a fiberglass pool. It's not new though. One thing I've noticed with mine is there is a rough texture on my steps and seating area. Does yours have that?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello and welcome to TFP! We experienced the exact same thing as you for the first couple months. That was before TFP for me and just before the green began to show. l The slipperiness is not good. You do need a TF-100 ASAP because I suspect that's the calm before the storm. In the meantime, make sure to only use regular liquid bleach as your sanitizer to increase FC. In my pool just under 18K, that's about 1/2 gallon of HEB's Bravo regular bleach each evening. For you it should be a little less. But your pool walls and floor should not be slippery/slimy at all. They should feel clean and your feet should feel stable. We busted our rears a few times on our slippery steps before TFP.

Once you get your test kit, make sure to post a full set of test results.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Nice to have you with us!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for confirming I am not insane and going to have to live with a slippery pool for ever. My walls and bottom and stairs are all slippery. YIKES. Will be getting bleach as soon as I get off of work. I will add more information to my signature too but don't have it all since I am at work.

I am so happy to have found this group. And am learning so much so quickly.

Thanks for the support.

Will keep you posted as i make progress.

ANy other tips greatly appreciated!!!!
    15000 fiberglass Viking free form pool, swg, Hayward variable speed pump cartridge filter
    TF 100 kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

yes it does but right now even that is slippery...
    15000 fiberglass Viking free form pool, swg, Hayward variable speed pump cartridge filter
    TF 100 kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Oh oh! Like Texas Splash said, sounds like the start of algae
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir