Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Help

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Help

Hi,

So the pool has been amazing since I started the TFP method. However, I noticed my PH keeps jumping up after 3-5 days of lowering it.

I lower PH to 7.2 next week its 7.8-8.0.

TA 100
    CH 150
    FC 6.5
    TC 6.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    CYA 60
    23K gal (I think), IG vinyl lagoona, Sta-Rite Hi-Rate Sand Filter T-240BP-1, Pentair Superflo VS 1.5 Pump (342001), June 2007, Taylor K-2006, Hayward Chlorine Feeder CL220, Water source from garden hose w/ water restrictions | 1HP Sta-Rite DYNA-GLAS MPRA6E-147L single speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Help

pH has a tendency to rise especially with higher TA numbers. Try lowering your TA to 60 or 70 and see if the upward pressure slows down. My pH is much more stable at 70 than it was at 100.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tal-alkalinity
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

3. Back To Top    #3

Ill try to lower it to 70. I thought it was supposed to be around 90
    23K gal (I think), IG vinyl lagoona, Sta-Rite Hi-Rate Sand Filter T-240BP-1, Pentair Superflo VS 1.5 Pump (342001), June 2007, Taylor K-2006, Hayward Chlorine Feeder CL220, Water source from garden hose w/ water restrictions | 1HP Sta-Rite DYNA-GLAS MPRA6E-147L single speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as you keep it within the range for your pool type as noted on the Pool School - Recommended Levels page (50 or above) you are fine. Each pool reacts differently, so once you get to a point where the pH seems to remain fairly stable, then you can just leave the TA alone. When you try the acid/aeration technique, you can bump pH down to 7.0 then aerate. Going that low seems to help some members move the TA better. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by g3lo View Post
    Ill try to lower it to 70. I thought it was supposed to be around 90
    There really is no magic number for TA. Concentrate on your PH, you'll likely find that when you get the rise to slow way down, and the TA has settled in the 60-80 range.

I'm lucky that my PH is rock solid at 7.4, even with my TA at 90-100ppm.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Your TA is at the right level for a vinyl pool with no intensive water features when the pH stays the same over the long haul.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post

I'm lucky that my PH is rock solid at 7.4, even with my TA at 90-100ppm.

Dom
    As am I. It's been just over a week for me and after boosting TA to 90 ( a little higher than I wanted) my pool as stayed at 7.4. My old pool the TA was lower but the pH kept rising.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer