Noisy pump

Sep 5, 2015
Smithtown, NY
I recently vacuumed my pool and during the process, my ordinarily quiet pump took on a minor yet annoying rattling noise. I've backwashed and rinsed several times to no avail. Now this rattle is constant and i'm hoping someone can aid me in returning my pump to its former glory. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hard to say without hearing it. Can you post a video of the noise?

If it is a rattle (not bearings or cavitation), there might be something stuck in the wet end. The manual should tell you how to remove the motor so you can get to the impeller area.

It might be the bearing going, are you able to turn the shaft by hand, does it turn smoothly? Is the shaft seal leaking? Is the impeller on tightly? If it's a bearing change is about $20 and about an hour of time. Do a check on youtube for pool pump bearing replacement. The job isn't too difficult.

If it is a rattle (not bearings or cavitation), there might be something stuck in the wet end. The manual should tell you how to remove the motor so you can get to the impeller area.

I'm unable to attach the video to this past for some reason, but I will check the manual. Thanks.

It might be the bearing going, are you able to turn the shaft by hand, does it turn smoothly? Is the shaft seal leaking? Is the impeller on tightly? If it's a bearing change is about $20 and about an hour of time. Do a check on youtube for pool pump bearing replacement. The job isn't too difficult.
This is my first season with the pool, do you think a bearing could already be falling? Not sure what an impeller is, but I will look it up. The valve handle is exceedingly difficult to manuveur between filter, backwash, rinse, etc. I have to put my full weight behind it. Though after rinsing a few times it did become a bit easier. No leaks.

Doesn't sound like bearings. I would open the wet end and see if anything is stuck in there. But check the impeller inlet first under the pump basket to see if there is anything stuck in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you attached a vaccum hose and head attachment you likely are getting suction cavitation from the additional restriction. Mine did this until i drilled a hole in the hose connection that goes into the skimmer basket to lessen the vacuum. After that, it worked fine.

There are two parts to a pump, the wet end, the part that has pipes connected to it, and the motor which sticks out the back end with electricity connected to it. At the end of the motor shaft is the impeller. This is what moves the water and on occasion get clogged with debris. You can reach the impeller inlet through the pump basket housing but that does not always clear the debris. Sometimes you have to open up the pump (separate the pump from the motor) and visually inspect the impeller.

You can see all the parts below. #10 is the impeller. Parts 1-13 are considered the wet end.

0015567_hayward-max-flo-vs-replacement-parts.jpeg

There are two parts to a pump, the wet end, the part that has pipes connected to it, and the motor which sticks out the back end with electricity connected to it. At the end of the motor shaft is the impeller. This is what moves the water and on occasion get clogged with debris. You can reach the impeller inlet through the pump basket housing but that does not always clear the debris. Sometimes you have to open up the pump (separate the pump from the motor) and visually inspect the impeller.

You can see all the parts below. #10 is the impeller. Parts 1-13 are considered the wet end.

0015567_hayward-max-flo-vs-replacement-parts.jpeg
Thank you for taking the time to post and help me out with this issue. I will investigate.

Usually, if you can't feel anything, it is probably clear in the inlet. However, you need to take apart the pump to check the impeller vanes. That is the only way to reach them.

Usually, if you can't feel anything, it is probably clear in the inlet. However, you need to take apart the pump to check the impeller vanes. That is the only way to reach them.
Well, I took apart the pump but was unable to remove part 10 from part 14. I was able to more closely inspect the impeller but was unable to remove the impeller itself to see if there was anything lodged behind it. I decided to put everything back together again and hope for the best, and sure enough somehow that did the trick. The rattle noise is gone and the pump is working smoothly with no leaks. I greatly appreciate your assistance and if you ever find yourself on Long Island, I owe you a beer!

You shouldn't need to remove the impeller. You just need to look inside the vanes. Probably something fell out when you opened it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.