Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Math - Effects of Adding Chemicals calc not same as Now/Target

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Math - Effects of Adding Chemicals calc not same as Now/Target

First time using Pool Math. For PH entered my Now reading of 8.2 and my Goal is 7.8
    Says add 22oz of 31.45 muriatic acid.

When I enter on bottom of page 22oz. says it will l lower PH by .35
    These don't agree but not by much.

Are these rounding errors or am I doing something wrong?
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Math - Effects of Adding Chemicals calc not same as Now/Target

Looking at the number of decimal places, I would say that .35 and .4 are the almost the same thing... since that's what you get when you round up.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool Math - Effects of Adding Chemicals calc not same as Now/Target

Look at the warning note in the Effects section. It clearly says that the pH calculations are approximate because it has to make certain assumptions about other values in order to do the calculations.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Correct. PH is impacted by many factors, TA, borates, etc. The more info entered into Poolmath the more accurate the calculation.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. I thought it might be the rounding but didn't know about the other factors that can affect it. I haven't entered all of those yet.

Tomorrow is my start-up day with the PB. Pool is filled with tap water.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice! Be sure to follow your installer's instructions, the mfg instructions and register your warranty, more here, Wet Edge | Warranty Wet Edge | Warranty. The first 30-60 days are important.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach