Am a new member and have some questions.

Jul 10, 2016
College Station
Hi Everybody,

First I would like to thank the creators and maintainers of this site as it has been VERY informative to me and already helped me solve some problems. I'm a new pool owner ( for about 1 month now ).

I have a few questions about using the TFP methods.

1. First seems TFP method core idea is to NOT use Chorine tables that contain CYA as that over time CYA will get too high and render the chorine ineffective. My question is can we use non-stabalized tablets instead of directly adding shock or bleach ? Only reason I ask is possibly tables are more convient to use.

2. What is best way to clean grout of tile ? The grout is dirty above the water line. I used chorox bleach pen which was somewhat successful.

3. How does one know if pool pump is variable speed ? Will it say on pump somewhere ?

Hi Stevie,
Welcome to TFP.

TFP core idea is to teach people how to maintain their pools, how to learn what you pool does and doesn't need and then adding to your pool only what it needs. A reliable test kit is required in making the determinations.

Most people who come here know nothing about pool chemistry, and to keep things simple for them is why you see us not endorsing using Trichlor or Dichlor tablets. There are times when using tablets can be beneficial, but the average pool owner needs to at least learn the basics and get a good grip on what adding certain things to to a pool. Once the basics are learned, there is nothing wrong with using tabs, as long as they are being used to benefit the pool chemistry - and pocket book.

Not all tabs contain CYA. There are tabs called Dichlor and those tabs use Calcium to stabilize the chlorine. All plaster pools need to have the CH maintained at proper levels, so using Dichlor also has it's consequences for a lot of folks if used in excess. Again, understanding of using them is key.

Chlorine is actually a gas, so there is no such thing as chlorine tablets which are not 'stabilized' with either CYA or Calcium.

liquid pool shock or bleach contains the active ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite does not add anything except chlorine, and a bit of salt, and the lack of those other stabilizing chemicals is why we recommend liquid chlorine. Also Saltwater generators are a great source of chlorine since its pure chlorine gas being generated by them.

I cannot help you with #2, perhaps someone else will chime in on that.

As for recognizing a variable speed pump... all VSP's have an electroinc control box on top of the motor with an electroinic display and a set of buttons for programming and speed settings. If your pump doesnt have an electroing display (controller) on top of it, then you dont have a variable speed pump.

hope this helps,

Thanks for the responses.

Well the pump on top says "Century E-Plus Switchless, the energy saving motor". The pool builder did not say what type of pump it was.

I have following water returns from pump - spa, 2 bubblers and 2 pool jests. I turned closed spa returns and bubbler returns, and 2 pool jets seemed pretty strong output so am thinking it is on full speed. There doesn't seem to be pump control box so I'm thinking pump is just one speed.

Thanks for info.

I'm going to try switching to using bleach. The builder left me bucket of trichloro-s-triazinetrione tablets. My cya level is 39 and when it drops to 30 ( due to backwashing ) I will start using that bucket again to use them up.

Hi Stevie,
Welcome to TFP.

As for recognizing a variable speed pump... all VSP's have an electroinc control box on top of the motor with an electroinic display and a set of buttons for programming and speed settings. If your pump doesnt have an electroing display (controller) on top of it, then you dont have a variable speed pump.

hope this helps,

Dave is correct for 99% of the VS pumps out there, I however have a pump that fits into the 1% it is a VS that has no control panel on the pump or even provided with the pump. it does have a flat case on the motor where the VFD resides so it somewhat has the look of a VS. It's intended to be controlled by one of the available Jandy automation systems and therefor does not come with the control presumably to save some money for someone who already has a system capable of controlling it.

That being said i think you are correct you probably have a single speed based on a quick google search although they do make a 2 speed. Inyo Pools has a guide on determining the motor type HERE

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.