Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SLAM Process Taylor K-2006 Need Help :)

1. Back To Top    #1

My SLAM Process Taylor K-2006 Need Help :)

I have been slamming my pool since last Friday, July 1st and it is still very cloudy. My readings as of now are:

FC 21.5 9:45 am (Added 64 oz. of 10 % chlorine)
    CC 1
    CYA 60
    PH 7.4 (when I stated the process on 7/1/15

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing? Should it have cleared up by now? It did have a greenish tint to it and now it looks blue, but cloudy. I did read an old thread and now the past couple days I've been testing every 2 hours.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My SLAM Process Taylor K-2006 Need Help :)

Keep on Slamming. Patience! Cleaning that filter?

Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Have you cleaned the filter? Have you brushed the pool? You should be replenishing the chlorine but at this point in the SLAM, you don't need to check more than two-three times daily. Keep SLAMming
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Keep on Slamming. Patience! Cleaning that filter?

Welcome.
    Yes, I have been cleaning every two or three days, but I'm thinking during the slam maybe should do it daily?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Have you cleaned the filter? Have you brushed the pool? You should be replenishing the chlorine but at this point in the SLAM, you don't need to check more than two-three times daily. Keep SLAMming
    Yes, I'm cleaning the filter, running my vacuum & brushing the sides. Should I brush if I'm vacuuming?

5. Back To Top    #5

My readings at 10:00 am

FC 23.5
    CC 0.5

ADDED 48 OZ. OF 10% CHLORINE

Is it safe for my kids to swim while slamming? They haven's swam for the past 11 days, but was curious if they could? Also, should I maybe us flock?
    24' Rd AG, 15,000 gallons, Hayward pump 1.5hp, Hayward Voyager Swim Pro Filter, Pleatco PXST150 FILTER

6. Back To Top    #6

If your FC is still under 24 then yes you can swim. If it goes over 24, we recommend not swimming. I would not use Floc or any other pool store product at this time. Probably best to rinse-off that filter everyday to keep-up with the dead algae getting trapped. Hang in there!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I am now on day 13 of my Slam and the pool is still very cloudy and hasn't really seemed to clear up a little each day. I thought my CYA level was 60, but decided to recheck it today and it seems more like its between 70-80. So, I've trying to hold my FC at 31 now. Hoping that I will see some improvements in the clarity. I will go out and test again shortly and post the results. I will also post some pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm beginning to feel like this is never going to clear up!
    24' Rd AG, 15,000 gallons, Hayward pump 1.5hp, Hayward Voyager Swim Pro Filter, Pleatco PXST150 FILTER

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Testing every two hours is productive at the beginning of the SLAM....it is a waste of time at the point you are now. 3 times daily will work just fine.

Second, it is difficult at this point but you must be patient. That you have gone this long tells me that you have let the chlorine slip from time to time. Keep the faith. This really works. Reread the SLAM article to make sure you have covered all the bases.

Posting a couple of pics will be helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I suppose it's possible that you did kill off everything but your filter is not up to task. You could drop down to 10 or 12 FC and do an overnight loss test, but if you are still battling algae, dropping under your SLAM level may set you back even more.

also, have you taken out all steps, thermometers, robots, rakes, etc, kept off all covers, removed your lights from the niche, etc? Algae lurks is all those places.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

In the very beginning I wasn't doing every 2 hours, but more like 3-4 hours. But have been pretty consistent for the most part. I've been putting in the recommended amounts to get it to 31, but test a half our later & it hasn't been at 31. I dumped in a bunch extra and finally got it to 32 a couple hours later it was already down to 27, but it is very sunny/hot today so maybe that's why. Is there any way to post pictures from a phone or tablet? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it, if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Testing every two hours is productive at the beginning of the SLAM....it is a waste of time at the point you are now. 3 times daily will work just fine.

Second, it is difficult at this point but you must be patient. That you have gone this long tells me that you have let the chlorine slip from time to time. Keep the faith. This really works. Reread the SLAM article to make sure you have covered all the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
    I suppose it's possible that you did kill off everything but your filter is not up to task. You could drop down to 10 or 12 FC and do an overnight loss test, but if you are still battling algae, dropping under your SLAM level may set you back even more.

also, have you taken out all steps, thermometers, robots, rakes, etc, kept off all covers, removed your lights from the niche, etc? Algae lurks is all those places.
    The water is blue, don't see any signs of algae. We've taken out the steps & everything.

11. Back To Top    #11

Try one of these:
    Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.
    Posting Photo's Tutorial
    How to add pictures to a post (full guide with screenshots))
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here are some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Pool 2016 Photo by rwallace21393Photos4all8 | Photobucket

- - - Updated - - -

s345.photobucket.com/user/rwallace21393Photos4all8/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpss2xylkxg.jpeg.html][/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

13. Back To Top    #13

While our filter housings are not the same, we do appear to use the same single cartridge. It will eventually do the trick for you, but be sure to keep the FC where it needs to be. Eventually the dead algae, which in my case looked like a lot of gray dirt, will flush away and slow down to make the filtering much easier on your system. The key is that FC level.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    While our filter housings are not the same, we do appear to use the same single cartridge. It will eventually do the trick for you, but be sure to keep the FC where it needs to be. Eventually the dead algae, which in my case looked like a lot of gray dirt, will flush away and slow down to make the filtering much easier on your system. The key is that FC level.
    Yea, I've had a really hard time keeping it at 31 today. I just went out at 8:00 and it was 28.5. I added 2 quarts and will go out here soon to see if it's at 31 for the night.

15. Back To Top    #15

Just checked my FC for the night and it's right at 31.

16. Back To Top    #16

Checked my FC this morning at 6:30, it was 28, added about 2 1/2 quarts.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's okay to check 3 times a day even if it's not staying at shock level? Yesterday it seemed to drop below shock level pretty quick.

17. Back To Top    #17

Sure. The more you can check and adjust the better. Just keep an eye on your reagents to ensure you don't run-out halfway through the SLAM. That would stink.

18. Back To Top    #18

Sure. The more you can check and adjust the better. Just keep an eye on your reagents to ensure you don't run-out halfway through the SLAM. That would stink.
    Been there, had to buy R-0871 from Leslies at premium price waiting for my XL upgrade from TFTtest!
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, I've had to order more of 0871 twice now. This last time I ordered a 16 oz. bottle. My FC was 32 at 8:30 last night and this morning when I tested it it was still at 32! How often do you buy a new filter?

20. Back To Top    #20

No FC loss that's great! For the filter, I may get one every couple years. Just depends on how well the pleats held up. I order it on Amazon so it's not that bad - about $50 I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast