SLAM and testing questions

Apr 19, 2016
Richmond, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Test kit came in!! Here are the results (assuming they are accurate)

pH - 7.5
Cya - 0 (although pool store they other day measured 10)
FC - 1ppm
Cc - 1ppm
Tc - 2ppm

I tried looking at the cya/chlorine chart and wasn't sure how to figure out how much to add. We have a 24ft round pool, about 13500 gallons, with a power flow matrix 1hp 1 speed motor and a hayward sand filter. I was using shock but after a reading see I should switch to bleach. I also and having trouble figuring the strength percentage of the bleach. One of the bleaches I have says "yields 7.9% chlorine". Is this the right number? Based on my test results the cya/chlorine chart doesn't indicate how much chlorine (I'm not quite sure that all the numbers represent either). Any help for moving this SLAM process is helpful. Also, this is pool that hadn't been opened for a year or two prior to me owning he house. There are leaves and I will be going out to buy a leaf eater as there is too many leaves at the bottom of the pool mostly on both sides of the skimmer. I want to get this SLAM process moving bit unsure how to proceed. Also on the chlorine test it seems the longer you wait for it to turn pink the more pink it gets. Is there an amount of time I should wait for the r-0870 to work before adding the r-0871? Thanks for any and all advise in advance.

The bleach lists ingredients i.e. 8.25 sodium hypochlorite(or 10.0 or 12.5 depending on what kind of chlorine) , other ingred 91.75. You will base pool math on ingred percent. You will need stabilizer (also can be called conditioner) to raise CYA . Articles on this site tell you how to add stabilizer using a sock and the waer return.

You need to use only 10ml sample for FC and CC. You will divide number of drops in half. When adding 0870, drop and swirl until no pink visible. If pink returns in a few seconds, add drops one by one until no pink returns, these you will then divide by two. For CC add five drops 0871 and swirl well. Again, use 0870 drops until water stays clear, and again divide by half.

You will need to recheck pH and if still 7.5, need to drop to 7.2. Get CYA up to 30, then you can begin you slam.

Hope some of this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.