Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear green tint

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear green tint

Im getting aggravated here with my pool. Went to beach storm came pump cut off come home to a pond green pool. Did the necessary steps got it levels back right but still can not get green tint out. Its been since june 17th. At one point it was looking good bc I vould actually zer the bottom this morning its a clear green tint wirh chlorine testing a little high. I shocked it Friday bc chlorine was extremely low. Please help me
    My daughter loves the pool and this is our first yr and im at wits end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear green tint

Hi welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. Did you use any algaecide in the pool? Do you use well water to top off the pool? Could you post a complete set of test results? It will help us troubleshoot your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, how long were you at the beach?? You said you went to the beach, pump cut off, and you came home to a green pool! How long was your pool sitting with no circulation?

As a first time pool owner, the first thing you need to do is join this forum. So congrats!! Knowledge is the key, and this is the place to get it! Once here, follow what these guys tell you and you'll have a crystal clear pool with low maintenance in short order. But you can't take shortcuts. You need to get a proper test kit (tf-100), test your water, and post the results here. You will need to SLAM your pool. When you're ready to do that come back to TFP!! Good luck!

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not had that issue but from what I have read on here if its a clear green with higher FC levels chances are you have some copper in your water and the FC is reacting with it. Thats about as far as my knowledge goes. Good luck.
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys i use test strips and read results from color code on back

6. Back To Top    #6

Filled pool with county water its neen perfect the pump was off 2 days with no circulation rain water has been added alot lol but very little well watet. Maybe twice

7. Back To Top    #7

The first thing you need to do is order a good test kit, like the TF-100 at TFTestkits.net. And don't forget the SpeedStir! It's a must have. Test strips, often called "guess" strips on this forum. are not very accurate (neither are the pool stores!).

Also if you can post pictures that will also help the experts help you get your pool back to being crystal clear. Be careful though with this site or you will come down with "sparklyitis" like all the rest of us have when it comes to pool water!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

Are they real expensive and where to i buy it

10. Back To Top    #10

Link is in my previous post. Expensive is relative. You can spend a lot of money at the pool store buying the chemicals they tell you that you need, but you really don't. Or you can invest that money into a good test kit and follow the TFP method and save money using chemicals that you can easily buy at your grocery store, Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to help you rid your pool of that green color. Good luck!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

11. Back To Top    #11

You've got copper in your water. You need a sequestrant. I've dealt with algae before, the algae was a different color green and the water wasn't clear. The copper is reacting with the chlorine to turn the water green (the chlorine is still doing it's job, so don't quit adding it or you will have algae problems). At our old house I fought metal in my water for a season and a half. After talking on the phone with the owner of the company for about 30 minutes, I now swear by the Jack's Magic products. Look at the Jack's Magic Blue stuff. You can also call them and get their recommendation for a product for your pool. My pool it turned out had extremely high levels of iron, and the initial dose needed to be about 2.5 times what was recommended. PM me if you have more questions.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

12. Back To Top    #12

"... the algae was a different color green and the water wasn't clear...."

That looks like algae to me. I wouldn't call that water clear at all. In fact, it looks quite cloudy to me. Looks the same color as the algae bloom I had a couple of years ago when my pump gave out and I had no good way to circulate the water for almost 2 weeks.

GC
    Bestway SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I would agree that that is cloudy green. "Clear green" means you'd be able to see the pattern on the bottom in the picture. You need to get a good test kit, as mentioned, and fully perform a Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Do you have the stock filter? It can take longer to clear the green with the stock cartridge filters. It can be done with diligence, though!

If you could fill out your signature with the details of your pool, etc, along with the state your town is in, it helps us help you a bit easier.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

You have to get the test kit. That's the only way to know for sure what your measurements are. Once they are known, you can attack the problem properly and get your pool back to clear. The kit is worth much much more than you will pay for it. Get it from Duraleigh here on this site. You will save yourself the amount 10 times over because you will never have to visit a pool store again to balance your water. Until you get a good test kit, the best anyone here can do is guess. That's not what this site is about. It's about obtaining proper measurements, and balancing your pool with proper doses. In your case it looks like you will have to SLAM your pool. But in order to do that properly you will need to know the current CYA level. In order to do that, you need the test kit. Once you get your pool properly balanced, you will be surprised at how easy it is to maintain. For example, once my pool is properly balanced at the beginning of the season. I test my chlorine level every 3rd day, and after the pool has been used heavily. I will test for pH every week, but it normally remains steady. That's all I do. I use a SWG so that cuts down on manually adding chlorine. But even if you do manually add, you will eventually get so used to your pool that you'll practically know before testing how much chlorine you'll need to add. But again, your most important purchase will be the test kit.

GC
    Bestway SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

First thing is to buy the test kit, then measure free chlorine and CYA level and report back.
    Go to Amazon and search "tf-100 pool test kit". It's $50 but will save you way more than that in short order.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

16. Back To Top    #16

Also read the ABC'S of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School. We want to help you. Helping yourself is also a must. When educating yourself with the knowledge provided, it is a much better learning experience for all of us involved, especially you.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Get the test kit, get the CYA and FC levels, and let us know what they are. We can tell you what to add, when to add it, when to test, and everything else to guide you through. Did I say get the test kit? If not, I'm sure someone above might have mentioned it. Oh and one more thing. Get the test kit.

GC
    Bestway SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    "... the algae was a different color green and the water wasn't clear...."

That looks like algae to me. I wouldn't call that water clear at all. In fact, it looks quite cloudy to me. Looks the same color as the algae bloom I had a couple of years ago when my pump gave out and I had no good way to circulate the water for almost 2 weeks.

GC
    Looking at the pic again, you're right. I didn't think about not being able to see the bottom of the pool. I had bad algae issues in a 15' round Intex - caused by ignorance and trying to jury rig the pump through the drain (don't ask) and then, briefly, in a 15x30 oval permanent AG pool the next season. After the algae was gone in the big pool I was still dealing with the tinted water due to metals but I could see the bottom of the pool.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

19. Back To Top    #19

@crokett: That's how I ended up at this site. My first pool was only a 12 foot round intex, but even with that, I wanted to do it right, but didn't have a clue. The first year was adding stuff from the pool stores. The second year was winging it on my own, and ended up full of algae. Small pool, so I just drained it and started over and thunk "there's got to be a better way". Then my good friend Google got me here.

As a side not, the last year I had that little pool I purchased a heater and sand filter in preparation for buying a bigger pool the following year. Turned the pool into a hot tub for the last few weeks we had it!! 50,000 btus flowing into it with a 2500 GPH pump. Plus the cheapy pump that came with the pool. What a blast!

GC
    Bestway SWG

20. Back To Top    #20

Well what straightened me out on the permanent pool was a 30-40 minute conversation with Jack, the guy who owns Jacks' Magic. That's not the fault of the good and patient people at TFP, it was my own ignorance and misunderstanding. More or less out of desperation I called Jack's and the customer service person says 'let me transfer you to tech support'. So this guy answers and says 'this is Jack'. After a minute or two that registers and I say "Is this THE Jack?" He says "well I wouldn't call myself THE Jack, but yes, my name is on the bottle." I ended up having a very educational discussion with him and his head chemist. After that conversation I had my water clear in about 3 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast