Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: occasinal light shock

  1. Back To Top    #1

    occasinal light shock

    i seem to have a slight tingle when i touch the concrete from inside the pool. i recently installed new liner and light. it does not happen all the time. any ideas ? thanks
    monroe,la
    size 22000
    saltwater
    hayward sand filter 300
    aquarite 40000 gen

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ottawa/Ontario
    Posts
    335

    Re: occasinal light shock

    Stray voltage. There is either a poorly sized neutral, or a poor grounding bond somewhere. If you are handy with power distribution, you can investigate yourself; if it were me, I would need an electrician, and would probably start at the newly installed light...


    68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: occasinal light shock

    your water and concrete deck are at two different electrical potentials. Electrical potential is the ability for a mass to have and hold an electrical charge. This charge wants to flow from one potential to another to even out. Since you are in one potential and then touching the other, you become the conductor that allows the current flow. This is not a good way to eve ot these potentials. The better way is thru proper Bonding. This is a system that is installed when the pool is built to electrically connect all large masses together to even out the current. Something may have been modified or improperly connected/reconnected when you had the light installed disrupting the water bond that the light niche provides. This has nothing to do with a poorly sized neutral wire.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: occasinal light shock

    i ran an extension cord to a building next to the pool from a outlet that is attached to the pool power . could that cause it?
    monroe,la
    size 22000
    saltwater
    hayward sand filter 300
    aquarite 40000 gen

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ottawa/Ontario
    Posts
    335

    Re: occasinal light shock

    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    i ran an extension cord to a building next to the pool from a outlet that is attached to the pool power . could that cause it?
    Doubtful. Danpik explained what the likely source of the tingle, or stray voltage is.


    68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

  6. Back To Top    #6

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: occasinal light shock

    What all was done when they installed the light? Was this a new install or a replacement? I suspect that something was done to the bonding wire either at the light niche or the junction box.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  7. Back To Top    #7


    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Quaker Hill, CT
    Posts
    1,254

    Re: occasinal light shock

    Often the metal light niche is used as the water bond, if you altered the way the light was wired/replace the light with a plastic light housing, you may no longer have water bond causing the voltage potential. More information is needed at to what was done prior to the issue arising.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

    Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,769

    Re: occasinal light shock

    You have two problems, the first is a compromised bonding system. Second is a source of the stray voltage. It is imperative to get the bonding system repaired as soon as possible because it may not be possible to solve the voltage problem. Once the bonding system is repaired that will take away the shock.

    You need a good experienced electrician.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •