Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain flooded pool pump area

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain flooded pool pump area

For the first season ever, and the 2nd time this year, my pool pump area was flooded with rain water and the pump motor got 1/2 submerged. This time I was not at home at the time to unplug the pump, and it short circuited, possibly for good.

I'm thinking the best way to avoid this in the future is to pour a concrete pad and raise the setup 4" or 5". Opinions?

PumpFloodedAgain.jpg
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain flooded pool pump area

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. Yes, I agree that now may be the time to elevate the pad a bit n hopes of preventing a recurrence. Bummer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Obviously elevate the pad. I think I would just build a pad out of 5/4 decking board. Cheaper, more versatile and maybe even a bit quiter
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is sitting on a concrete block that I got from Lowes' Depot for almost the exact same reason - although I was fortunate enough to not have the water get high enough to threaten the motor.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

duraleigh, what would support the 5/4 decking board? I'm wondering how to make it level and stable over time.

scooperhsd, what are the dimensions of the precast concrete block you used? And how many of them?
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

6. Back To Top    #6

^ You could put the 5/4 on top of treated 4x4 or 4x6 or even layers or treated 2x6 or 2x4. Use stainless steel fasteners for longevity.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rdshackleford View Post
    duraleigh, what would support the 5/4 decking board? I'm wondering how to make it level and stable over time.

scooperhsd, what are the dimensions of the precast concrete block you used? And how many of them?
    Big enough to support the base of the pump, about 3-4 inches tall. Just one, But you may need more than 1.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I have two storm drains attached on the same line as my sand filter drain. If things are angled properly, nothing comes out of the drains when you backwash. I don't think you want to have standing water anywhere near the vicinity of that equipment.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
    Mine is sitting on a concrete block that I got from Lowes' Depot for almost the exact same reason - although I was fortunate enough to not have the water get high enough to threaten the motor.
    Same solution here.

10. Back To Top    #10

My pool is within a flood zone, on a creek that infested with beavers - with dams. I did this many years ago after losing my second pump. Remember, 4X4 and 6X6 are ground contact, unless marked, other lumber is not. I used some cutoff 6X6's and framing lumber. I'm a retired deck & porch builder so I had plenty of material. I elevated the pump as high as I could. Once I change out the filter and put it on a base I can center the pump on the stand. I'd include the photo but apparently I have exceeded my quota.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

11. Back To Top    #11

C3, no I don't want the flood water at the pump, but fixing my drainage issues would be a very long and expensive project. I hope to some day.

I'm thinking pouring concrete won't be more difficult than building a wood platform. The tough part is moving all the sand and redoing all the very old plastic pipe connections.

12. Back To Top    #12

I am going with option #3!!!

DSC00066.jpg

A mini inverted cofferdam.

Now all I need is a one way drain valve.

13. Back To Top    #13

Good innovative idea, yes one way vavle is in order. Is that a car booster cable clamp?
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

14. Back To Top    #14

That is a smaller version of a car booster cable clamp. I used it for the bonding wire. In the case of an electrical storm, I like to isolate the pump from surges on all fronts!

I would like to find a nicer sort of quick disconnect for that. Maybe a twist-lock something.

15. Back To Top    #15

I certainly agree with isolating the pump in case of a storm. But my experience with lightning indicates that the only way to really protect it is to take it inside the house! What lightning wants, lightnings gets. I've been in that business. But a disconnect will protect against the easy strikes.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

16. Back To Top    #16

Agreed. I like that, what lightning wants, lightning gets. Do you know what happens to a toad when it is struck by lightning?

17. Back To Top    #17

Thunderstorms are bearing down on the northeast. We are unplugged and isolated in the tub. Wish us luck.