Newbie with a green pool

Jul 9, 2016
Jesup/ GA
Hi! I'm Brandon Crowe, this is our third season with this pool and it hasn't been the best! Tired of the endless pool store train and ready for a much better understanding of this vinyl lined pain! I should have a test kit on the way soon so I hope to get started soon!

I drained the pool before it got warm enough to swim because it had developed a leak where a mole had dugout from under the liner so it was rubbing on the block under the upright. After filling the hole he made from the outside by pushing dirt under the liner (FUN!), refilled the pool and all was good for a while. But that didn't last very long. Having a lot of trouble getting chlorine to stay up and it doesn't help that the water is over 100 degrees. Something has to change! It's hard to enjoy it with the kids when it's an ugly green all the time! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP :)

Head to walmart and grab about 10 gallons of bleach/pool shock (you may need more or less bleach).. the pool shock is 10% and will get you further using less and it's a little cheaper than bleach :) then head over to lowes outdoor and grab a gallon of muriatic acid 20% baume, you will use this for PH and TA..

With the pump running until you're done and the pool is crystal clear

Pour 1/2 gallon in the pool in the morning and brush or 1/2 gallon in and brush at night until your test kit arrives..

Read pool school and the other links in my sig below

And have fun, you can have your pool back with a little help :)

Hi Brandon and welcome to TFP! :wave: Once your test kit arrives, post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to help. In the meantime, you can do two things:
- Add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to your water each night.
- Read the SLAM page (link below) in preparation for your SLAM.

Great to have you with us!

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

The SLAM method is well worth the effort and will make your pool much, much easier to look after for the future. Good advice above.

I don't know where many of the US locations are, but I've been to Jesup. I went there to tour the big forest seedling nursery, so I actually know where you are.