Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Submersible Pump for pool draining

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Submersible Pump for pool draining

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality submersible pump? I have been renting a Wacker Nueson 2/3 hp from Home Depot, but at $29.00 per 4 hour rental, I would rather put the money toward something I own. I am looking at the Wayne, CDU 790 and it appears suitable to drain my 1800 gallon spa easily. I prefer to stay away from cheap plastic housings. Any thoughts?
    Inground 1800 gallon gunite spa/pool, installed mid 1980s.
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 4 cartridge filter Model CCP 240
    Pac Fab Challenger (High head, High flow) 1 1/2 HP pump
    One Jandy valve controlling automatic chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Best Submersible Pump for pool draining

This is what I purchased:

Flotec FP0S1300X-03 Tempest 1/6 HP 1, 470 GPH Utility Submersible Pump - Sump Pumps - Amazon.com

The pump does not pump water as it claims, but is good enough for a swimming pool. They are very well built and I would not spend a lot of $$ on a pump unless the warranty went out 10 yrs. + and you used it quite frequently.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

3. Back To Top    #3

2/3hp sump pump with floatswitch from harbor freight + 2" collapsible 25' hose they sell will move alot of water for under $90.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

This guy should do the trick. Strong housing and it'll draw at 1470gph. Affordable and pretty good quality

Tempestâ„¢ Water Removal Utility Pump 1/6 HP, 1470 GPH | FREE SHIPPING Flotec Pumps Store

5. Back To Top    #5

The 3/4 harbor freight is close to 3000gpm, stainless steel and $69 bucks. Mine worked great and emptied the pool very quickly.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

$29/4 hours, no wonder you want to grab something for yourself. Flotec makes some pretty solid pumps.

Tempestâ„¢ Water Removal Utility Pump 1/6 HP, 1470 GPH | FREE SHIPPING Flotec Pumps Store
    Last edited by tackypoolz; 07-11-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Correction

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Due to our poor water quality here in Scottsdale it would appear I need to dump the pool on an annual basis. Last dump was July 2015, and my TAP water measured 852 total dissolved solids as I was filling the pool! A year later, I am at 5000 TDS!! Good thing it is only 1800 gal! You can see why $30.00 a year in rentals (as well as the hassle of dropping it back off within 4 hours) it not very attractive.

Any other pool owners in Scottsdale with such high TDS numbers or am I just lucky?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Illupo View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! Due to our poor water quality here in Scottsdale it would appear I need to dump the pool on an annual basis. Last dump was July 2015, and my TAP water measured 852 total dissolved solids as I was filling the pool! A year later, I am at 5000 TDS!! Good thing it is only 1800 gal! You can see why $30.00 a year in rentals (as well as the hassle of dropping it back off within 4 hours) it not very attractive.

Any other pool owners in Scottsdale with such high TDS numbers or am I just lucky?
    I'm just down the road in Chandler. Probably 15 miles or so from you. The water in the valley is high in CH, but otherwise pretty good. There really is no need to drain every year or two.

TDS is irrelevant - just another tactic by the PS to sell you some over-priced potion. I see in another of your threads (Fabulous Forum!!) that you plan on ordering a TF-100. After you receive your test kit and the SpeedStir, post up your numbers in that thread.

Is your pool 1800 gallons or 18,000 gallons?
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

9. Back To Top    #9

The TDS really tells you nothing about you pool. Even many pool stores (other than Leslie's) ignore it. They can't even tell you why TDS is important.

You need to get a TF 100 or K2006 and follow the TFP method.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

See, this is what I am talking about...every time I leave the pool store, I am more and more confused! Yes, I am happy to say that I ordered the TF 100 yesterday and it should be here next Monday. I can't wait to come back here and appear to know what I am talking about! Going to the pool store is like flying blind while being misdirected!!!!
    Yes, my pool is only 1800 gallons, I think they call it a spa/pool.

Will be posting up numbers soon.