Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump question

Hi,
    Yesterday when replacing water in the pool I forgot to close the skimmer the pump ran empty for a while and couldn't prime any more. Just got an almost new one from Craigslist. Installed and started the pump. The pump died right after I plugged to the outlet. Turns out it's wiring to 115v . There was no smell. Is there anything I can do to save the pump? Do you know if Hayward Super Pumps have some kind of internal fuse? Two pumps in two days How come I can be that stupid
    Thank you
    Inground liner 15,000 gallons in Montreal, Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump question

Bump
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Not enough information to comment.

Are you using 120 V or 240V for your pool pump ? What was it wired for when you tried it ? I'd verify that you wired it correctly before writing it off.

You might be able to just replace the motor on the new pump (if that is what died) with a replacement - most sites ship dual voltage motors wired to run on 240V - Be careful of what you're connecting it up to.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
    Not enough information to comment.

Are you using 120 V or 240V for your pool pump ? What was it wired for when you tried it ? I'd verify that you wired it correctly before writing it off.

You might be able to just replace the motor on the new pump (if that is what died) with a replacement - most sites ship dual voltage motors wired to run on 240V - Be careful of what you're connecting it up to.
    Thanks. I'm using 240V (it's the old pump's setting). I did not smell anything after, is there any chance the thermal overload protector tripped and protect the pump? Here is the wiring, which looks like 120v setting.

Inground liner 15,000 gallons in Montreal, Canada