Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does low pH make water use chlorine faster?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does low pH make water use chlorine faster?

Just raised a super low pH up to 7.6. Wondering if the low pH has had anything to do with the jugs of 12.5% chlorine I'm going through (about two a day with CYA of 35)?

Thanks.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does low pH make water use chlorine faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
    Just raised a super low pH up to 7.6. Wondering if the low pH has had anything to do with the jugs of 12.5% chlorine I'm going through (about two a day with CYA of 35)?

Thanks.
    That seems like a lot with that CYA level.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The only extenuating circumstance is that I'm still cleaning up some sand off the floor (about all gone now) and the water is not clear yet.
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

My PH likes to stay low, I don't seem to lose any extra FC. Are you sure it's sand? You might want to do an OCLT to make sure you aren't fighting a little algae. (Is it noticeably gritty)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
    Onslow:

A couple of reasons for high chlorine consumption. This is outside the 12.5% chlorine having degraded over time. When I purchased my first large set at a discount, I realized after months of wondering why I was using so much, that the chlorine degraded from 12.5% to about 7%. Please check the date on the bottom of the bottles and report back to us. Outside of this, if the swimming pool is used throughout the day, where you have 8-10 people in the pool, for about 4-6 hours and most of them have sun tan lotion, then you can easily go through about 4ppm-5ppm in one day. I have done some testing to determine how much extra to add in the morning before everyone shows up.

Outside of this, you have "bad stuff" in your pool that needs to be cleared up. All 3 tests must be passed before a SLAM is complete and you will find less chlorine consumption. I use about 1.30 ppm per day when no one is in the pool and about 2 ppm at most with light use.

Question: Please tell us how you are testing your water (with what test kit) and the date on the 12.5% liquid chlorine bottles? Thanks!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

6. Back To Top    #6

LC/bleach also degrades faster if stored outside or in warmer areas. Inside in the laundry room or pantry is better. Raising CYA to 50 will help quite a bit.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do. The ph went from 7.5- ish last night to 7.0 today mid-day. Checking the bottles I have left the dates are June 2016. Might try Great Value bleach which has less % but always dependable.

Also, will store bleach inside. Had been kept outside in cases but only for a day or so due to the short turnaround from store to use. Also will raise CYA. Currently using a Taylor kit to do all tests (probably need to get a FAS-DPD test as the Taylor "diluted/multiplied in comparator" tests seem varied).

8. Back To Top    #8

One other issue (can move to new thread if more appropriate)

The double-panty hose bag of CYA granules I hang out in front of the jet dissolved entirely within the day (no sign of holes in hose). In prior years this took the better part of a week to fully dissolve. Is that normal?

I'm beginning to question the true CYA in the water due to the fast burn-off.

EDIT: Found this thread to answer this question in case anyone interested - CYA dissolving too quickly?