Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you use a variable speed pump witha Paramount in floor cleaning system

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you use a variable speed pump witha Paramount in floor cleaning system

I am just about ready to install a new hayward VS pump and wondered if this will work correctly with my IFC system? Any thoughts or tips for this? Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you use a variable speed pump witha Paramount in floor cleaning system

It should work at lower speeds to filter the water but you'll probably need to run some hours at high speed to actually clean any debris in the water. I guess you'll have to experiment and figure out how many hours to run at high speed.

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I run my VS pump at a higher speed for about 90 min each morning to allow my infloor system to do its job. It's just part of the daily program I have setup on the pump.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It will work fine. As chiefwej said, you will need to run it on a higher speed for the infloor to be effective. You will have to determine exactly what rpm that higher speed is for your specific pool. And you will also need to determine the high speed run time.

On my system, I run for 90 minutes in the AM and 90 minutes in the PM at 2800 rpm. Then I run it for an additional 3 1/2 hours in both AM and PM at 1000 rpm. For my pool, this provides adequate cleaning at the higher speed and continued circulation/skimming during the remaining run time on low speed.

How many hours per day have you been running with the single speed pump? Do you have a SWCG? Please add your pool to your signature as outlined here: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

5. Back To Top    #5

As other have said, it will work but running at higher speeds for longer periods make the economics of a VS less attractive.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If an infloor system is working properly, it should be able to clean the pool in a hour or two, then the pump can drop back to a much lower speed. With a VS pump you need to identify the lowest effective speed for each task and setup your programming accordingly.

In my case, I use one speed for cleaning, a second for the SWG (chlorination, skimming and general filtration) a third, much lower for extra filtration. In addition a seperate speed is setup and activated by my solar controller anytime heat is called for and available at the panels.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit