FC Degradation Rate

May 26, 2016
Anaheim, CA
:compress:Is the degradation of FC from sunlight (not algae or other organic material) linear or exponential with regard to the level of FC in the pool? In other words, all else being equal, does a level of 14 FC degrade faster than say a level of 8 FC? Are there any links or references that expands on this subject?

It is exponential

Here is quote from Richard (Chem Geek) :

You can read the entire post here: Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you. Can I then conclude that if hypothetically I needed on gallon of liquid chlorine per week to maintain a required FC level, that it would be better to add 1/2 gallon every 3 1/2 days rather than the full gallon once a week? Or is there something else I may be missing?

Thank you. Can I then conclude that if hypothetically I needed on gallon of liquid chlorine per week to maintain a required FC level, that it would be better to add 1/2 gallon every 3 1/2 days rather than the full gallon once a week? Or is there something else I may be missing?
Correct,,but even better would be 1/7th gallon every day as long as your CYA is correct. Once you go above the recommended FC level as a ratio to CYA the "unprotected" FC is what has a half life of 35 minutes.

Excellent, Tim. Thank you very much. I suspected as much, but you have confirmed it for me. I will adjust my chlorine additions accordingly.
This is why many of us automate chlorine delivery to the pool. Most common is the salt water chlorine generator, but many use liquidator or Stenner pumps.

Here is my install- My Stenner Install - July 2014

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.