Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is a "return jet"?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is a "return jet"?

I understand that it moves water around when the pump is on but does it bring water into the pool or take it out?

Ignorant question, I know.

I want to try using bleach but need to know where to put it into the pool.

Thanks.

Another quick question: My pool set up is to use chlorination tabs. Is it a problem to put the bleach straight into the water? The man who sold me the pool recommended against it. Said to use the tabs. Not sure why he said that but I'm all for anything that will save me money and time.
    8,900 gal in-ground gunite lap pool; self-cleaning Jandy 1.5 HP Pro Series E-pump system; Jandy CV340 pool/spa filter with four cartridges; Propane heater (rarely used); motorized pool cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What is a "return jet"?

A return is where water "returns" to the pool.

If your sole means of chlorination is tabs eventually you will have a CYA problem. The articles in Pool School would be great, especially the ABCs of Water Chemistry.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The skimmers suck the water from the pool the returns return it. Any return point......the thing water is coming out of on the side of the pool.

Not really a stupid question. I know I didn't know (insert any word) about pools when my build was finished.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I did, but it didn't answer my question. Thanks, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    A return is where water "returns" to the pool.

If your sole means of chlorination is tabs eventually you will have a CYA problem. The articles in Pool School would be great, especially the ABCs of Water Chemistry.
    I did read it -- great info, and the reason I want to switch chlorinating method. Thanks for the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    The skimmers suck the water from the pool the returns return it. Any return point......the thing water is coming out of on the side of the pool.

Not really a stupid question. I know I didn't know (insert any word) about pools when my build was finished.

I fell terribly ill-informed. Thanks for saying that!
    8,900 gal in-ground gunite lap pool; self-cleaning Jandy 1.5 HP Pro Series E-pump system; Jandy CV340 pool/spa filter with four cartridges; Propane heater (rarely used); motorized pool cover.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Put me on the ill-informed team, too. My first dealings with pools seem to me that the returns should "return" water to the pump.....where it started from.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Put me on the ill-informed team, too. My first dealings with pools seem to me that the returns should "return" water to the pump.....where it started from.
    Me too. It's opposite of heating/air conditioning systems terminology -- there the HVAC system is the focal point, with supplies sending air out to the house, and returns bringing air back to the unit. It took me a while and some misunderstandings to realized that, I guess, the idea is that the pool itself is the "star", so water gets sucked out of it, handled by the pump/filter, then "returned" back to the pool.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Like an air return with HVAC!!
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

So I turned the pump on a couple nights ago, found the return jet (thank you all!), and poured in the bleach. Then the pump seemed to stutter and the water wasn't coming in very well. So I figured I need to work on the cartridges more. I shut everything down. Am soaking the cartridges in soap overnight and will hose them tomorrow. Have ordered a pool vacuum that I'm hoping will get the silt up off the bottom. Then I guess I'll check the chlorine again and carry on with pouring bleach in front of the return jet. I must say, this is complicated in a lot of ways but is oddly straightforward now that I understand the basics of the equipment and the chemicals.