TA and PH

Jun 17, 2015
Houston, Tx
If my pool consistently runs a high ph (I have to add muriatic acid once to twice a week) do I care if my TA is a little low? I just measured my TA at 90. If I let me TA continue to drop will it keep my ph from going up as much?

Brain is right on but I have to ask, what are you using for chlorine?

Using bleach. Following TFP as closely as I can. My pool builder put in the chlorinator before I knew better. It has been empty for a year now.

The only reason I thought a TA of 90 was low was the TFP kit I got says ideal is 100-120 for chlorine pools. So 50 is really my basement as long as my pH doesn't reverse course on me and start going too low?

Thanks

The 100-120 is ideal for pools that are chlorinated with pucks because the pucks are acidic and they tend to drive the pH down. Bleach is not acidic and it helps to keep the TA lower to help prevent the pH from rising too quickly. You want to keep the TA between 70-90 for the most part if you are using bleach for the chlorine. I would only let the TA go down to 50 if the pH will not stabilize and you have 50ppm of borates added to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.