Tile Strip AKA Cove Strip - Plastic between coping and tile

We just had new concrete cantilever coping poured - much to our dismay, after they broke the forms there is an ugly white plastic strip between the concrete and the tile, reminiscent of every 1980's pool I've seen.

I have found very limited info on TFP and internet on ways to replace/recolor these, but gosh are they ugly - can I cut the exposed part off, and grout/caulk over it, and still get the benefit of the part embedded in the concrete to absorb movement differentials? Anyone successfully painted?

We have a black pool plaster, dark gray tile, and slick grey concrete coping/deck - this white strip sticks out like a sore thumb.

I see you can get it in grey and black, but our PB didn't ask and it's too late for that now obviously.

Thanks so much

Reactions: Howard 702
Hi! You know what I am going to say if you have read much on here LOL Can you share a picture so we can see what you are dealing with. Try to get a good shot of where it is and how you would be working with it.

I THINK you are on the right track but want to make sure.

Kim:cat:

This kind of form is used on all cantilever decks. It is part of the form. Home. It is there to prevent water getting under deck. After some years especially in the southwest the sun will break down. Some companies will cut it out and use a flexible mastic like Sika, that does come in different colors

It doesn't look nearly as bad as you described, but as was previously mentioned I not the one paying for it. I would be afraid altering it would look worse. We have a pool under construction at this moment as well. Our PB used a grey one, to blend with grey grout and grey concrete, but it's still just as obvious as yours. My previous pool had it in black, still obvious.

I had the same problem as my tile was a brown color mix and my grout color was tobacco brown, what i did to make the strip to blend in was to paint it with spray paint made for plastic. First coat spray paint strip with a plastic primer. Second coat spray paint with a color that matches tile grout. Third coat spray paint with a clear satin exterior sealer.

Mine had the same strip. My deck has a textured acrylic coating. So when I was applying a fresh color top coat, I just masked the top edge of the tile and painted it with the top coat. It's now just a part of the deck.

I had the same problem as my tile was a brown color mix and my grout color was tobacco brown, what i did to make the strip to blend in was to paint it with spray paint made for plastic. First coat spray paint strip with a plastic primer. Second coat spray paint with a color that matches tile grout. Third coat spray paint with a clear satin exterior sealer.

How long ago was this and how's it holding up in the NV sun?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This kind of form is used on all cantilever decks. It is part of the form. Home. It is there to prevent water getting under deck. After some years especially in the southwest the sun will break down. Some companies will cut it out and use a flexible mastic like Sika, that does come in different colors
Is this plastic stripe on all gunite pools or just cantilever concrete ones? I ask because we are getting a paver coping and I’m hoping that allows us to not have the plastic strip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.