Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile Strip AKA Cove Strip - Plastic between coping and tile

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile Strip AKA Cove Strip - Plastic between coping and tile

We just had new concrete cantilever coping poured - much to our dismay, after they broke the forms there is an ugly white plastic strip between the concrete and the tile, reminiscent of every 1980's pool I've seen.

I have found very limited info on TFP and internet on ways to replace/recolor these, but gosh are they ugly - can I cut the exposed part off, and grout/caulk over it, and still get the benefit of the part embedded in the concrete to absorb movement differentials? Anyone successfully painted?

We have a black pool plaster, dark gray tile, and slick grey concrete coping/deck - this white strip sticks out like a sore thumb.

I see you can get it in grey and black, but our PB didn't ask and it's too late for that now obviously.

Thanks so much

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tile Strip AKA Cove Strip - Plastic between coping and tile

Hi! You know what I am going to say if you have read much on here LOL Can you share a picture so we can see what you are dealing with. Try to get a good shot of where it is and how you would be working with it.

I THINK you are on the right track but want to make sure.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the pool done yet and you have taken over or is it still UC? I was worried about the same thing with mine and the PB just want done with it. He had them seal it and it looks great!

brett
    23'x32' Inground Free Form Gunite. 7' Raised spa, Jandy equipment, Aqualink, Stonescape with Abalone shells

4. Back To Top    #4

Pic attached, thanks for the reminder.

Rusty, what do you mean by sealed it? Yes mine is still under construction.

Thanks!IMG_7479.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the tile grouted? It looks like it is and it is white. I like how the white coping stuff goes with the tile grout. I am also not the one paying for it so...lol

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

This kind of form is used on all cantilever decks. It is part of the form. Home. It is there to prevent water getting under deck. After some years especially in the southwest the sun will break down. Some companies will cut it out and use a flexible mastic like Sika, that does come in different colors

7. Back To Top    #7

It doesn't look nearly as bad as you described, but as was previously mentioned I not the one paying for it. I would be afraid altering it would look worse. We have a pool under construction at this moment as well. Our PB used a grey one, to blend with grey grout and grey concrete, but it's still just as obvious as yours. My previous pool had it in black, still obvious.

8. Back To Top    #8

I had the same problem as my tile was a brown color mix and my grout color was tobacco brown, what i did to make the strip to blend in was to paint it with spray paint made for plastic. First coat spray paint strip with a plastic primer. Second coat spray paint with a color that matches tile grout. Third coat spray paint with a clear satin exterior sealer.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Mine had the same strip. My deck has a textured acrylic coating. So when I was applying a fresh color top coat, I just masked the top edge of the tile and painted it with the top coat. It's now just a part of the deck.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by POOLNV View Post
    I had the same problem as my tile was a brown color mix and my grout color was tobacco brown, what i did to make the strip to blend in was to paint it with spray paint made for plastic. First coat spray paint strip with a plastic primer. Second coat spray paint with a color that matches tile grout. Third coat spray paint with a clear satin exterior sealer.
    How long ago was this and how's it holding up in the NV sun?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Going on my third summer. Holding up well, still looks great