Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do with the original Intex pump/filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do with the original Intex pump/filter?

I didn't even open the pump/filter that came with my round Intex pool, as I ordered a sand filter with pump right off the bat based on recommendations here.

What do other people do with it? I'm a bit of a minimalist and don't like things sitting around the house "just in case" I might have use for them in the future. So, I'm looking to get rid of it but before I do I wondered if there is any other use for it? Any fun thing, like a water feature? Or could a water feature be accomplished by hard plumbing the pool with various shut-off valves?

Just curious what others here do with it.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do with the original Intex pump/filter?

I would sell it or donate it to goodwill.Folks with smaller pools would be delighted to have a larger pump/ filter. As far as a fountain in the pool, if you tee off your outlet line and add a second outlet to the pool.Your new pump is strong enough to do that.You also could use the pump for another water feature
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

3. Back To Top    #3

I know you said you didn't want it just sitting around, but that's what we did. I figure having something on standby in case of a problem was way better than being stuck without filtration for a couple days.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use it for a separate Solar heater
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

I use mine for fountain duty.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    You can use it for a separate Solar heater
    Do you have pics? I could use some additional heat here up north, to extend the pool season as long as possible.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by philc View Post
    I use mine for fountain duty.
    Pic? I just bought the Intex fountain today! It would be nice not to have to keep disconnecting the return to use it.

Hard plumbing the pool is on my future "to do" list and while I love DIY, plumbing has given me issues in the past, so I want to have all the parts and know exactly what I'm doing before I attempt it. And, I'd like to do it outside the parameters of our pool season here in Michigan, so there's no down time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry I do not have any pics at this time, and my pool is just now being refilled after re-leveling it.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by KazzyK810 View Post
    Do you have pics? I could use some additional heat here up north, to extend the pool season as long as possible.
    Sorry not pics, I still have my original pump in the box

- - - Updated - - -

Actually my plan is exactly for the pump to be connected to a solar heater and a fountain
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

10. Back To Top    #10

Pic? I just bought the Intex fountain today! It would be nice not to have to keep disconnecting the return to use it.

Hard plumbing the pool is on my future "to do" list and while I love DIY, plumbing has given me issues in the past, so I want to have all the parts and know exactly what I'm doing before I attempt it. And, I'd like to do it outside the parameters of our pool season here in Michigan, so there's no down time.

here is athread with an idea

Intex 1000 GPH upgrade to 2500 GPH, what to do with old pump

- - - Updated - - -

INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

11. Back To Top    #11

here is athread with an idea

Intex 1000 GPH upgrade to 2500 GPH, what to do with old pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, I clearly jinxed myself! Went to clean out the leaf basket on the Intex pump, and the o-ring is shot and it wouldn't seal again. This is the second summer with this pump.

So I'm thinking, no big deal, just order another...but they're out of stock!?!?! So, I've ordered a knock-off that has horrible reviews. Now I'm looking at hooking up that lil pump that came with the pool.

Grrr, I so wish I hadn't bought an Intex pump & filter and had gone with Hayward or Pentair, or some other reputable company that local pool stores stock replacement parts for.

I'll see how this knock-off o-ring is after is arrives, and if it doesn't work I'll probably get another pump & filter and hard plumb everything and get rid of all the intex components other than the actual frame & pool liner.

13. Back To Top    #13

The corner stone of TFP

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I'm on my second full season with my Intex sandfilter. While I plan to replace it with an 18" or 21" filter & 1hp pump, it's not because of reliability issues (knocks on wood).

I do use silicone o-ring lube on all o-rings and gaskets, as well as my Jandy check & 3-way valve at opening & closing, and on the Hayward threaded eye-ball fitting to make it easier to remove as needed. The silicone lube keeps the o-rings from drying out.

Dom

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    That link brings up a search result for jewelry on eBay. What's up with that?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I'm on my second full season with my Intex sandfilter. While I plan to replace it with an 18" or 21" filter & 1hp pump, it's not because of reliability issues (knocks on wood).

I do use silicone o-ring lube on all o-rings and gaskets, as well as my Jandy check & 3-way valve at opening & closing, and on the Hayward threaded eye-ball fitting to make it easier to remove as needed. The silicone lube keeps the o-rings from drying out.

Dom
    My son's first engineering job was at a company that makes seals & gaskets, so can't tell you the number of times I've heard about how improper installation & lack of maintenance are the primary causes of failure. So, that o-ring was well lubed and carefully placed. I don't know what went wrong. Too much chlorine? Too much sun? Just a cheap made in China part?

I'm hoping the knock-off o-ring does the job, at least through the rest of this summer. It should be here Tuesday, so we'll see.

16. Back To Top    #16

<--------happy lady right here!!! Woo hoo! The knock-off non OEM o-ring works! It's part 11232 from Need Replacement Parts? Trust the O'Ring King - Home if anyone else needs one. My pool pump is running smoothly once again I just ordered a couple of back up o-rings.

So that extra little pump may get delegated to fountain duty, if I can figure out how to get input water to the pump from my current set up.