What to do with the original Intex pump/filter?

Jul 3, 2016
Davison, Michigan
I didn't even open the pump/filter that came with my round Intex pool, as I ordered a sand filter with pump right off the bat based on recommendations here.

What do other people do with it? I'm a bit of a minimalist and don't like things sitting around the house "just in case" I might have use for them in the future. So, I'm looking to get rid of it but before I do I wondered if there is any other use for it? Any fun thing, like a water feature? Or could a water feature be accomplished by hard plumbing the pool with various shut-off valves?

Just curious what others here do with it.

I would sell it or donate it to goodwill.Folks with smaller pools would be delighted to have a larger pump/ filter. As far as a fountain in the pool, if you tee off your outlet line and add a second outlet to the pool.Your new pump is strong enough to do that.You also could use the pump for another water feature

I use mine for fountain duty.

Pic? I just bought the Intex fountain today! It would be nice not to have to keep disconnecting the return to use it.

Hard plumbing the pool is on my future "to do" list and while I love DIY, plumbing has given me issues in the past, so I want to have all the parts and know exactly what I'm doing before I attempt it. And, I'd like to do it outside the parameters of our pool season here in Michigan, so there's no down time.

Pic? I just bought the Intex fountain today! It would be nice not to have to keep disconnecting the return to use it.

Hard plumbing the pool is on my future "to do" list and while I love DIY, plumbing has given me issues in the past, so I want to have all the parts and know exactly what I'm doing before I attempt it. And, I'd like to do it outside the parameters of our pool season here in Michigan, so there's no down time.

here is athread with an idea

Intex 1000 GPH upgrade to 2500 GPH, what to do with old pump

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

here is athread with an idea

Intex 1000 GPH upgrade to 2500 GPH, what to do with old pump

Well, I clearly jinxed myself! Went to clean out the leaf basket on the Intex pump, and the o-ring is shot and it wouldn't seal again. This is the second summer with this pump.

So I'm thinking, no big deal, just order another...but they're out of stock!?!?! So, I've ordered a knock-off that has horrible reviews. Now I'm looking at hooking up that lil pump that came with the pool.

Grrr, I so wish I hadn't bought an Intex pump & filter and had gone with Hayward or Pentair, or some other reputable company that local pool stores stock replacement parts for.

I'll see how this knock-off o-ring is after is arrives, and if it doesn't work I'll probably get another pump & filter and hard plumb everything and get rid of all the intex components other than the actual frame & pool liner.

I'm on my second full season with my Intex sandfilter. While I plan to replace it with an 18" or 21" filter & 1hp pump, it's not because of reliability issues (knocks on wood).

I do use silicone o-ring lube on all o-rings and gaskets, as well as my Jandy check & 3-way valve at opening & closing, and on the Hayward threaded eye-ball fitting to make it easier to remove as needed. The silicone lube keeps the o-rings from drying out.

Dom

- - - Updated - - -

That link brings up a search result for jewelry on eBay. What's up with that?

Dom

I'm on my second full season with my Intex sandfilter. While I plan to replace it with an 18" or 21" filter & 1hp pump, it's not because of reliability issues (knocks on wood).

I do use silicone o-ring lube on all o-rings and gaskets, as well as my Jandy check & 3-way valve at opening & closing, and on the Hayward threaded eye-ball fitting to make it easier to remove as needed. The silicone lube keeps the o-rings from drying out.

Dom

My son's first engineering job was at a company that makes seals & gaskets, so can't tell you the number of times I've heard about how improper installation & lack of maintenance are the primary causes of failure. So, that o-ring was well lubed and carefully placed. I don't know what went wrong. Too much chlorine? Too much sun? Just a cheap made in China part?

I'm hoping the knock-off o-ring does the job, at least through the rest of this summer. It should be here Tuesday, so we'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.