Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walked into a green pool . . .

1. Back To Top    #1

Walked into a green pool . . .

Walk-through was last Wednesday. Pool was blue, but a little cloudy. Took possession on Thursday. Pool was green. Had pool store guy out that day to talk us through the equipment (they'd built the pool and provided major service). We tested the water using the former owner's little kit (chlorine read at or above 3.0, but that's as high as the kit goes) and the pool guy added acid and alkali enhancer, in some undisclosed amounts. He told us to get an algaecide at the pool store and add a full quart. We did that the next day, using Banish. Along with scrubbing the sides and bottom of the pool. Upon taking possession the SWG was set at 80%.

We had no tangible results from the algaecide. The water remained murky. We took a water sample into the pool store on Sunday and were given Super Soluble, more alkali enhancer, salt, and another round of Banish. That was, uh, pricy.

We did another round of Super Soluble per pool store instructions on Tuesday. The water is now very clear. Found this forum mid-week and Amazon delivered a K-2006 test kit yesterday.

Water remains very clear but green.

Numbers:

FC 23
    CC seems between .5 and 1
    CYA 100-120 (pool store today said 95)
    Ph ~7.2
    TA ~130

I took a water sample into the pool store to see if the remaining green color was copper, stemming from the double dose of Banish they prescribed. They said they'd be surprised (although the CH test turned purple, which I read could mean a metals problem). They suggested it would remedy itself with time, which was refreshing, I guess?

No place around here seems to have Jack's Magic The Purple Stuff, but that seems like it might be a good idea? Any thoughts? Including whether it's safe to swim? I assume it is, although the green may mean we should wash out hair, unless we want to look like Muppets?
    IG 24,000 G, Vinyl Liner, Intellichlor SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo, Sand Filter, K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Walked into a green pool . . .

Hi, welcome to TFP! I would say you are correct since Banish is 3% copper which is clearly stated on the bottle. They couldn't be more wrong, not only does copper cause problems such as staining light colored hair and swimsuits green, it will also stain the surfaces of the pool. The only way to get rid of it is to do a series of partial drain and refill cycles. You can use the Jack's magic to keep it in solution to prevent staining but you will need to stay on top of dosing the pool regularly. The pool is safe to swim, but I would protect any light colored hair by soaking it down well with fresh water before swimming. Swimmer's shampoo can get some of the green out, so you may want to keep some on hand if you think you may need it.

Here is a link for Jack's Magic products local retailer search. Buy our Products Locally - Contact Us - Jack's Magic Products, Inc. Hopefully there is a place in your area that has it available.

As for the guys who had you dump all that copper in there to begin with, walk away and don't look back.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup. Sounds like copper to me.

In case someones blonde hair does turn green, you can turn it back blone again by shampooing with ketchup.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to you both. No local retailer has Jack's, despite several showing up off the link above (they may have carried them once, but apparently no longer). I've ordered it off Amazon. Thanks for the ketchup tip. If we can get the kids into the green pool (they're skittish about the color), my daughter might need it.

We'll see about draining and refilling, when I can.
    IG 24,000 G, Vinyl Liner, Intellichlor SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo, Sand Filter, K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry to hear Welcome to TFP! You came to the right place to get effective advice to sort it out.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners