Most econimcal way to increase CYA

Cyanuric Acid is called C YA and stabilizer.......all three are the same thing.

The best thing to do is buy enough granular CYA to get to about 40 ppm. Calculate the dosage carefully and there you have it. CYA is now 40.

Wow, a pool $tore got something right!! Amazing. But also true. Just don't buy it there. Buy it at Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot. It's usually called stabilizer. Use Pool Math above, to find out how much you will need. Put half into a sock and hang it in front of a return. Give it a squeeze every once in a while. The squeezing helps get it into the pool quicker. After you get half in, wait a day or two and test your level. Add in as much as you need to get to your target using the sock method again.

Not all of them are alike- my local one is on a reasonable side and I give them business if I need something urgent, like replacement valve. I also buy my chlorine there, seems to be the cheapest for that. I also overheard their advice to a few customers and they were sound too, no upselling of any 'snake oil'. They also use FAS-DPD test to test customer's chlorine - the very same test we use here. My other local store of Leslie descent is the classic one- ignorant and trying to sell you something before you could even ask a question. I was there only once :).

Pool Math indicates 37 oz for my 6500 gal pool start up. How long should I expect 1 pound (half of the recommended dose) of CYA in a sock to dissolve? When should I then check the level?
Thanks

When I've added 1.75 lbs of it in a sock, I can get it all dissolved in about 30-45 minutes depending on how much I work the sock. If I just stay out there and hold it in front of the return and work the sock, it takes 30 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.