Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Most econimcal way to increase CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Most econimcal way to increase CYA

Good Morning,

does anyone have any suggestions on the most economical way to increase my CYA? We drained our pool and refilled it so our CYA is 0. THe local pool store said to put in Chlorine Stabilizer.

Scott
    Pool Rectangle with attached Spa (approx. 8000 gal, depths 4 feet and 5-1/2 feet), Pump - Hayward Super II, Filter - Hayward Micro Filter DE Model 4800.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Most econimcal way to increase CYA

Cyanuric Acid is called C YA and stabilizer.......all three are the same thing.

The best thing to do is buy enough granular CYA to get to about 40 ppm. Calculate the dosage carefully and there you have it. CYA is now 40.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Wow, a pool $tore got something right!! Amazing. But also true. Just don't buy it there. Buy it at Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot. It's usually called stabilizer. Use Pool Math above, to find out how much you will need. Put half into a sock and hang it in front of a return. Give it a squeeze every once in a while. The squeezing helps get it into the pool quicker. After you get half in, wait a day or two and test your level. Add in as much as you need to get to your target using the sock method again.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone I just wanted to check before I spent the money on stabilizer and find out that wasn't what I need. I dont have 100% trust in the pool store.
    Pool Rectangle with attached Spa (approx. 8000 gal, depths 4 feet and 5-1/2 feet), Pump - Hayward Super II, Filter - Hayward Micro Filter DE Model 4800.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I dont have 100% trust in the pool store.
    Even though you haven't been on the forum long, you are showing early signs of being a very smart guy!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Not all of them are alike- my local one is on a reasonable side and I give them business if I need something urgent, like replacement valve. I also buy my chlorine there, seems to be the cheapest for that. I also overheard their advice to a few customers and they were sound too, no upselling of any 'snake oil'. They also use FAS-DPD test to test customer's chlorine - the very same test we use here. My other local store of Leslie descent is the classic one- ignorant and trying to sell you something before you could even ask a question. I was there only once .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool Math indicates 37 oz for my 6500 gal pool start up. How long should I expect 1 pound (half of the recommended dose) of CYA in a sock to dissolve? When should I then check the level?
    Thanks
    -Intex Ultra-Frame 18' x 48" AG, 6423 gal
    -Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump, 1500 gph (single speed) with cartridge filter
    -Purchased and installed June, 2016
    -Water test kit: TF100
    -filled with city water, no water restrictions as of now

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Duraleigh

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
    Pool Math indicates 37 oz for my 6500 gal pool start up. How long should I expect 1 pound (half of the recommended dose) of CYA in a sock to dissolve? When should I then check the level?
    Thanks
    generally in 24-48 hours you can retest with pretty decent accuracy
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
    Thanks

When I've added 1.75 lbs of it in a sock, I can get it all dissolved in about 30-45 minutes depending on how much I work the sock. If I just stay out there and hold it in front of the return and work the sock, it takes 30 minutes.
    AGP: 21' x 52" : 10,000 gallon
    100 lb. Sand Filter / 1 hp pump
    11-5 full sun