Heater questuon

Kbdean

Jun 12, 2016
Kenosha/WI
I have an atmospheric above-ground pool heater. Heater is 2 years old, this is our 3rd summer using it. Water is not heating. Display says "rollout switch open". Manual says this is displayed while their is a demand for heat. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue, and what needed to be done to return heat to the pool. I have turned off heater, unplugged, plugged back in and turned heater back in. Heater appears to be in working order, just not producing heated water. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is a gas heater, the rollout switch senses the flames licking out the front of the burner compartment. It means the air intakes on the burners are clogged and the flame is starving for oxygen or internal blockage in the heat exchanger and the products of combustion cannot make thru the heat exchanger to the flue.Check the air shutters on the burners for mouse or wasp nests.check the heat exchanger for the same or soot filling the heat exchanger. both can be cleaned with a venturi brush. overpressurization of the gas valve is also possible. If all is clean and the gas pressure is ok, change the rollout switch.

I had this problem on my raypak heater... I replaced it twice cuz it kept blowing... Eventually had tech come out and he put some kind of a bypass in... Said that years model was having that problem consistently... Haven't had a problem since

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bypassing a safety is an invitation for trouble. A rollout switch is the protection the unit needs to shut down the gas flow if something goes wrong inside the burner chamber and forces the flames out the front of the unit. I would suggest for OP to have a qualified heating tech come out and look at the unit and find out why the switch tripped (most likely a clogged heat exchanger) Simply bypassing this could lead to more problems such as a bad fire.

My old Raypak had a wax roll out fuse which I replaced with a solid state one that can be reset by just pushing the button. You may just have to reset it if yours is solid state.

My apologies.. I wasn't suggesting that the op do this himself... I had a certified raypak tech come out and after having replaced the switch twice... They were the ones that fixed it with what they told me was a bypass switch

My apologies.. I wasn't suggesting that the op do this himself... I had a certified raypak tech come out and after having replaced the switch twice... They were the ones that fixed it with what they told me was a bypass switch

They should never have done that either. I have never seen a Raypak that had issues like that without something like an obstructed heat exchanger causing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.