Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater questuon

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater questuon

I have an atmospheric above-ground pool heater. Heater is 2 years old, this is our 3rd summer using it. Water is not heating. Display says "rollout switch open". Manual says this is displayed while their is a demand for heat. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue, and what needed to be done to return heat to the pool. I have turned off heater, unplugged, plugged back in and turned heater back in. Heater appears to be in working order, just not producing heated water. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater questuon

If you tell us what brand, we can tell you where it is located and then you can get the part and fix it.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

If this is a gas heater, the rollout switch senses the flames licking out the front of the burner compartment. It means the air intakes on the burners are clogged and the flame is starving for oxygen or internal blockage in the heat exchanger and the products of combustion cannot make thru the heat exchanger to the flue.Check the air shutters on the burners for mouse or wasp nests.check the heat exchanger for the same or soot filling the heat exchanger. both can be cleaned with a venturi brush. overpressurization of the gas valve is also possible. If all is clean and the gas pressure is ok, change the rollout switch.
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

4. Back To Top    #4

I had this problem on my raypak heater... I replaced it twice cuz it kept blowing... Eventually had tech come out and he put some kind of a bypass in... Said that years model was having that problem consistently... Haven't had a problem since

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Raypak Natural Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Bypassing a safety is an invitation for trouble. A rollout switch is the protection the unit needs to shut down the gas flow if something goes wrong inside the burner chamber and forces the flames out the front of the unit. I would suggest for OP to have a qualified heating tech come out and look at the unit and find out why the switch tripped (most likely a clogged heat exchanger) Simply bypassing this could lead to more problems such as a bad fire.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Agree 100% with danpik. It is a symptom of a problem that needs to be address properly and not just bypassed.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

My old Raypak had a wax roll out fuse which I replaced with a solid state one that can be reset by just pushing the button. You may just have to reset it if yours is solid state.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

My apologies.. I wasn't suggesting that the op do this himself... I had a certified raypak tech come out and after having replaced the switch twice... They were the ones that fixed it with what they told me was a bypass switch

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Raypak Natural Gas Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jbriggs1219 View Post
    My apologies.. I wasn't suggesting that the op do this himself... I had a certified raypak tech come out and after having replaced the switch twice... They were the ones that fixed it with what they told me was a bypass switch

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    They should never have done that either. I have never seen a Raypak that had issues like that without something like an obstructed heat exchanger causing it.
    Paul