Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC test- Water Light Pink?

1. Back To Top    #1

FC test- Water Light Pink?

Hi guys. I did my first chlorine test this morning on my water- pool is almost full but pump has not been setup yet- guys are doing it today. Anyways, when I put the scoop into the water, it only turned light pink- not dark pink like in the video. Is something wrong?

12 x 24 Buried AGP 6,800 Gallons | Intex 16" Sand Filter | Intex Krystal Clear SWG
    Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer | TF-100 Test Kit |Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC test- Water Light Pink?

Probably means you are very low in chlorine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thank you! I added some more. When can I test again?
    12 x 24 Buried AGP 6,800 Gallons | Intex 16" Sand Filter | Intex Krystal Clear SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

With your pump running, you should be able to re-test the FC level in about 15-20 minutes or so.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

So my pump is just about finished being setup- YAY! However, we have had water in my pool since Monday. How long should I run the pump for tonight, and should I go ahead and add more chlorine and the CYA now? I added almost an entire gallon of liquid chlorine today and the test water is still light pink/ almost clear....

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

and should I go ahead and add more chlorine and the CYA now?
    No. You must test your water to see where you are. You cannot get to your goals unless you test and figure where you are starting from.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by violet-mermaid View Post
    So my pump is just about finished being setup- YAY! However, we have had water in my pool since Monday. How long should I run the pump for tonight, and should I go ahead and add more chlorine and the CYA now? I added almost an entire gallon of liquid chlorine today and the test water is still light pink/ almost clear....
    FC test is 2 step process- have you added FAS-DPD reagent and counted the drops until water becomes colorless? IIRC you were also supposed to dissolve 2 scoops of the powder but I can be wrong here as I use different kit. If a single drop would make it colorless then you have < 0.5 ppm FC and should bring it up. How high depends on your CYA level and your test kit contains test for that as well. Post back full list of your numbers here and I'm sure someone will help:

FC =
    CC =
    CYA =
    pH =
    TA =

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, here are the results:

FC= 2
    CC= .5
    CYA= 0
    PH= 8.2
    TA= 180

All I have added so far is about 3/4 gallon of liquid chlorine.

9. Back To Top    #9

This is the liquid chlorine I am using:

Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid - Walmart.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by violet-mermaid View Post
    This is the liquid chlorine I am using:

Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid - Walmart.com
    since you have some CC I'd check first if your pool passes OCLT: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt and if it doesn't you'd need to SLAM it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

then you can go to PoolMath tab above, enter your data there, select TroubleFreePool from the drop down at the the bottom and see what needs to be done to bring your water to balance. Meanwhile if this pool is outdoors and sees sunlight I'd go and grab some CYA as you'd definitely need it later.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit