Added CYA Stabilizer. How long to wait to test?

Jun 27, 2016
Osawatomie, KS
My CYA is measuring about 30 PPM. I use a SWG, I want to get to 60-75. The last time I added Stabilizer, I way overshot it and had to drain down the pool to lower the reading. I've seen several methods to add stabilizer; sock in a basket, sock over a return jet, dissolve in a bucket and add slowly to the skimmer line (what I did last time).

This time I'm going to go a little slower, I don't want o overshoot again. So, I put about a pound in a sock in the skimmer basket. It totally dissolved in 24 hours. My question is this:

Even though the stabilizer completely dissolved out of the sock, do I still need to allow time for the CYA level to rise to get an accurate reading? I understand that the liquid stabilizer can be measured almost immediately after adding (allowing for turnover), but I can't determine if I need to wait using tis method. I've seen people say that the stabilizer gets stuck in the filter and you need to allow time for it to dissolve, but if it is gone out of the sock...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.