Black Algae

petman

Jul 9, 2016
Danville/CA
Hi

I have pockets of black algae and would like to get rid of it. I have read about the brushing etc so I am good there. Last week I took the pressure washer into the pool and was able to remove almost all "sticking" algae from the pool. However several days later it is back in different places and maybe even more. Guessing I just broke it up and moved it around so maybe made things worse. I am happy to move the chemicals and such but wanted to check in as I have teenagers and a dog that like to use the pool and it is especially challenging to keep the dog out of the pool.

So to that end, if I get all the black removed from the sides and bottom of the pool again, what level of chlorine should I run that is hopefully high enough to kill the black but safe enough to swim? I have a pebble-tec pool about 30k gallons, with a swg. I keep CYA around 60-80 based on my recent testing. I am up for anything and everything to kill this stuff, just let me know. I also picked up a couple big bottles of phos-free plus when on sale so I have that lying around too. It isn't horrible as it generally blends a bit with the pebble, but I know it is there, notice it and want it gone.

Pool is clean and clear otherwise with no issues other than the aethics of the black algae.

Thanks

Ok, I have read all of that and will take care of it. The FC level was my concern due to the dog, but I will be sure to keep it just below that level for a while until it is gone. Seems like a chore but worth it. Maintenance from now on will be more vigilant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.