Backwash hose

Thanks for your reply!

It is a 25 or 30 foot hose. The only way I can think of to drain it would be to walk the length of it picking it up off the ground as I go to drain it out. That would take a few minutes and would get me filthy with mud, as well as take me straight into the swamp where the pool water dumped. I have an image of a happy rattlesnake enjoying his own little pool back there and I really don't want to disturb him!

I really don't backwash that often except when it rains alot. I'm happy for the reduced fire threat to report it has rained a lot lately. Not so happy because we haven't been swimming in over two weeks. Usually when it rains here it is a nasty thunderstorm.

Maybe I could cut the hose shorter and prop it up so it blows the water back to the woods but I wouldn't have to walk all back there to drain it?

Ok, I get it now. You have the hose hooked to the filter and laid out into the drainage area and leave it there. So how about disconnecting it from the filter outlet when you're done? That would introduce air and break the vacuum lock on the water remaining in the hose. Depending on how it's connected this could be easy or it could be a PITA, but it's an option.

I have a cartridge filter so I don't backwash but have a friend that does. He uses PVC that is connected to his backwash outlet using a small section of the backwash hose clamped to the PVC. If my memory is correct he had to use the short section of hose due to the type of clamp or mounting required to connect to the filter. Couldn't you also replace the soft backwash hose with hard PVC and hve the PVC run down at an angle so that it will naturally drain when you finish backwashing?

Dennis

Home Depot sells hose made for sump pumps, it actually looks like small diameter (1.25" I think) pool vacuum hose. Can get a NPT to barb fitting (you may already have this) that screws into the waste port on your multiport valve, then attach the sump pump hose. You might even be able to get away with 1.25" diameter vac hose from a pool store.

Since its not a collapsible hose like the normal backwash hose, it shouldnt hold nearly as much water once you stop pumping out. Plus it seems to hold up better to the sun, and definitely better to any stray weed wackers.

That is basically what we have, but we used the "corrugated" hoses that originally came with our pump and filter and solar panels. Once we did the system with real PVC, we had these assorted left over corrugated hoses, almost like vacuum cleaner hose. My husband put those together using assorted joints, and then connected with a hose clamp to the backwash port. This hose does not hold water, rolls up pretty easily when we want it out of the way, does not split, and is way easier to use than that pitiful blue plastic sheeting "hose" that the pool stores sell.

I leave my 50' flat blue waste hose out all summer and have done so every year since 2004. It runs into a field and we drain and move it (takes 2 minutes) each time we mow the field--usually three times a summer. I have no concerns about it--I really can't imagine mosquitoes flying up the collapsed end to breed in the dips where the water accumulates. If the water is not exposed to air, it's pretty immune to 'skeets, IMHO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.