Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Finish Material

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Finish Material

My contractor quoted white plaster pool finish with a few ounces of black added to make the water color bluer. I was fine with this but the more research I do the more uncertain I am that the finish will be what I'm expecting. What is your opinion on plaster vs. quartz and other finishes (color, longevity)? The dig starts in a couple of days!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Finish Material

Welcome to TFP!

You've just entered the hardest decision of the pool building process for most people.

There are probably thousands of posts on the topic of one type versus another. In addition to seeing how folks respond, I suggest you search various phrases like plaster vs Quartz, etc. on this site. There is also an article in Pool School discussing finish selection.
    I'll share that a regular plaster pool that has colorant added is likely to have mottling and streaking, especially the darker you go. Not necessarily a bad thing but something to be aware of. Much less so for Quartz. Pebble finishes tend to be quite consistent on color so long as the installer is good.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. The information I read on the site today was very helpful, and now I know the questions to ask my contractor on Monday. Happy swimming!

4. Back To Top    #4

We did the gray plaster. Love it. White plaster is not very appealing to us. I'm not sure how they did they gray plaster. But I think they added black to it. It was the same price as white. We just didn't feel that pebble finish was worth the extra expense when we could get the color we wanted for no additional cost.

Matt
    19,600 Gallons, 34'x24' Cloud Shape, 3.5'-6'-4', 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, natural gray plaster, Oklahoma Flagstone, NPT Silverstone Ocean Blue waterline and maker tiles, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Pentair EasyTouch 4, Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color Led light, Polaris 280 cleaner, 1.5 ton moss rock waterfall, 785 sq. ft. exposed aggregate deck, and mosaic crab on bench, TF-100 Test Kit