Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Party in 4 hrs! Any extra FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Party in 4 hrs! Any extra FC?

FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    CYA 30
    CH 225 (my calcium just arrived by mail; will add tomorrow)
    TA 110
    82 degree water that is crystal clear.

Question: I'll have 16 seven year olds and 10-15 parents potentially in the pool. Should I bump the chlorine up now (at least 2 hrs before party) to 6 or 7?

Thanks!
    John

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Party in 4 hrs! Any extra FC?

I would be tempted to bump it to 6, then check it after the swimmer load is finished... but what do I know?
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, go at least 2 or 3 ppm above target. It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart. Test and add again after.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with bumping it up. Id go as high as 8ppm. That's a lot of people, especially kids. Kids have a tendency to relieve themselves in pools and urine can cause fairly significant chlorine demand. You should definitely test right after the party as well as the following day to ensure proper chlorination. You could even do an OCLT to see what FC demand is present. We recently had a post 4th of July Party post where the OP did not check his pool after 30 people swam in it and his FC bottomed out a few days later.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Fantastic! Thanks!

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

So after the party it dropped to 3.5ppm. Crystal clear the whole day. Loads of people all day. It was incredible. At 12 noon I increased it to 8ppm FC and at 9pm it was 3.5 ppm. I bumped it to 6ppm for overnight just in case.

I even converted a guy to the TFP method bc he couldn't believe how clear my pool was.

7. Back To Top    #7

4.5ppm FC loss can only mean one thing - Someone pee'd in your pool!!!

Ok, maybe not ... But here's the official rough rules of thumb for bather waste. One person-hour of bather load requires ~ 4 grams of chlorine to neutralize. So, with your pool volume in pool math, you can figure out how much FC that is. It's typically quit small, on the order of 0.04ppm FC or there about for a typical sized pool.

However, 1 cup of urine (close to normal human output) is the equivalent of 6 person-hours of bather load. So you can see that having lots of people swimming usually isn't a big deal. But, all it takes is a few people relieving themselves in the water, and FC demand goes way up.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

Ok, maybe not ... But here's the official rough rules of thumb for bather waste. One person-hour of bather load requires ~ 4 grams of chlorine to neutralize. So, with your pool volume in pool math, you can figure out how much FC that is. It's typically quit small, on the order of 0.04ppm FC or there about for a typical sized pool.

However, 1 cup of urine (close to normal human output) is the equivalent of 6 person-hours of bather load. So you can see that having lots of people swimming usually isn't a big deal. But, all it takes is a few people relieving themselves in the water, and FC demand goes way up.
    And I tested first thing in the AM (light out but not direct sun yet) and I apparently lost 1ppm overnight. From 6 to 5.

So right now I'm at 5, which passes the overnight test.

Whew. Now on to increase my calcium!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

My testing indicates for a period of 4-6 hours of pool use (in an out), with children and adults (about 8-10), I lost 4.5 ppm throughout the whole day. I do not believe anyone relieved themselves in the pool, but the "sun tan lotion" was the culprit for high chlorine consumption. You could see it all over the surface of the water. Every pool is different, and this is why we always rely on accurate testing here at TPF.

It is truly amazing how people take care of pools for years without understanding a thing. I refuse to swim in other people's pools (Unless they are members of TFP)! LOL
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

10. Back To Top    #10

John, good work on keeping on top of the pool during the extra load, and even better work on the recruitment of a TFP convert!
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

I was thinking about this a bit. Normally my pool eats 3ppm, even with one swimmer (not peeing!). So for it to take an extra 1.5 ppm for a full pool party isn't so outrageous.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA902 View Post
    I was thinking about this a bit. Normally my pool eats 3ppm, even with one swimmer (not peeing!). So for it to take an extra 1.5 ppm for a full pool party isn't so outrageous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup. I bet that extra 1.5ppm was just simply bather load related. Most adult people understand that you don't relieve yourself in a pool, it's the kiddos that usually present a problem. As awkward as it might be, when my kids have swim parties, I always gather the kids up and explain the rules. One of those rules is - "The pool is not a toilet bowl so do not use it as such!"
    Matt