New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, end pix soon!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stacked Stone!

Stacked stone continued today. They didn't make as much progress as I thought they did, but they are spending a lot of time curving the chiseled edges for the spa coping. The vertical descents are in place in the raised bond beam and have their little green protectors in place ready to be put into operation :)

P8240598-1.jpg

Note the little green poking up under the center of the raised bond beam. They got the stacked stone on the wall at the end of the wood plank, and they cemented in place the flagstone along the entire raised bond beam today.

P8240601-1.jpg

The current overview, also note the curved coping being put into place around the spa.

We asked the PB about the next steps and she stated the next team is the clean up crew which is schedule for next Tuesday. It'll be interesting how they're leaving behind the boulders, but all the other material is UNDER those boulders... the yard should be left nice and clean as it was on the first page of this thread... with the boulders all sitting in a pretty row. She then stated that an inspection is done, and then the cement work is done, then another inspection, and then the plaster. We asked when electrical is done, she ignored the question. She did say though that she'll be out of the office from tomorrow until next Tuesday... how nice.

We asked her if a padlock on the side gate will suffice for inspection and she stated she did not know and would have to ask her boss. What an idiot. I personally looked up the rules and per signs.com which cites the California Health and Safety Code-

Under the California Health and Safety Code (Section 115923), fencing for residential pools must:

• Be at least 5 feet tall
  • Not have space greater than 2 inches between the ground and the bottom of the fence
  • Not have gaps larger than 4 inches in diameter in the fencing material
  • An outside surface free from potential handholds or footholds that could enable a child below the age of five years to climb over.
  • Gates (if any) must open away from the swimming pool, be self-closing and self-latching with the latch no lower than five feet from the ground.
SO, the gate needs to be self closing... I went out and looked at our gate and to my wonderment, we have self closing hinges but they've never been used as such. They're rusted solid but I dowsed them with WD40 and will work with them over the next week or two until I can get them moving and adjust them accordingly. Good thing I caught that now so I have time to work with it.

We leave for a vacation Sept. 8-18 and I know it wont be done by then. We'll have to stop work until we get back.

Better a good job where they are taking their time than a fast job that has to be redone! They are doing a good job by the looks of it.

The curve is going great! Love how they really mixing up the colors and textures. There was one build where they put all of the silver together then the brown then the gold. It looked AWFUL! They made them redo it and they even sat the stone out how they wanted it used.

I see the green thing! That is going to sound and look so neat when it is working!

Yea for clean up. Those pool guys will have their work cut out for them to get to all of the stuff but such is life!

What kind of gate do you have? Wood? iron? Neat it has the hinges already. Sure how you can get them working. Hubby says buy some P.B. Blaster instead of WD40. He says is works even better on rusted things. You can get it at Walmart.

:kim:

And you'll need alarms on the doors of your house that lead out to the pool if there is no fencing between those exits and the pool. At least we needed them. Our PB supplied them. You can get cheap ones at Home Depot.

Tiny weekend update for you early Monday morning readers-

The stone guys didn't get as much done by Friday as I thought they would. They jack-hammered the entire spa and the massive face above the pool... needless to say, after all is said and done... the spa will FINALLY be rather close to the shape it's supposed to be. The stone guy was not happy about having to jack hammer a ton of material off the face of it... but, he did it, and there's now a 3ft actual flat face to the front of the spa. They've buttered for the stacked stone and I assume it will go on Monday.

We're looking for a sealer that gives a wet look to the coping... while we like the near dry color the sealer gives on the stacked stone, it doesn't make the coping look 'wet' enough (which when wet the coping is a lot darker which we want). So I'll be going around getting samples of stuff etc. to try them out this week.

Pix later on, cheers!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stonework nearing completion!

Shot from the jackhammering of the spa-

P8250606-1.jpg

He spent all ady on Thursday doing that. They then rebuttered the surface to shape it properly. Guy is quite furious with the gunite guy.

P8250611-1.jpg

Benya inspected the spa coping. As of this afternoon they're cementing the stone in place. The coping around the pool has been mortared (I'll show you the color later, it's 'brown', but will go well with the final dark color the coping will be).

P8250635-1.jpg

OneEar has been enjoying the dirt in the yard. Sadly we've realized that once the yard is completely done (probably by summer next year), there will be no more dirt for her to roll in. Perhaps we'll leave a patch somewhere surrounded by catnip for her to roll in hmmmm.

P8290643-1.jpg

Tile is going in. Since I took this shot earlier, he has gotten all the way around the pool and is currently sawing tile for the skimmer opening.

I wonder if that 'cleanup crew' will come tomorrow... I don't think these guys will be done until Wednesday afternoon. The 2 day job turned into 2 weeks. I won a bet with my dad.

I really like how your coping looks in that last picture! It shows how they cut it to fit and follow curve. NICE!

OneEar-But of course you will have a dirt pile for her to roll in! LOL We have a loft in our barn for one of our cats that does not like the other cats. She tells the other cats "MINE! ALL MINE! GO AWAY!" and they all listen! LOL

I wonder if the jack hammer guys will find and talk to the gunite guy? I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear what they say!

Photos from today's work-

P8290650-1.jpg

Mortaring the last of the coping in place, it's all done now and is drying. Also working on some tile on the spa, he removed some of it and scraped some of the cement again... man, that guy hates the gunite crew (and the shape of the spa).

P8290659-1.jpg

Tile and the coping. Keep in mind, the final coping color will be darker.

P8290657-1.jpg

Here's the spillway from the spa into the pool. This will be quite a waterfall. I have a feeling this is what we'll turn on most often to have white noise in the backyard. He'll cut up the thin piece for the spillway and mount it tomorrow.

P8290654-1.jpg

Here's the skimmer. Interesting how it dips 'down', but, if you guys say it's fine, then it's fine. He did a nice tiling job in it.

P8290652-1.jpg

The current overview. He says he'll do the stacked stone on the spa and finish the tile tomorrow (among other things). He may run out of stacked stone so we'll be on call to head on down to the stoneyard and pick up some if he needs it.

That skimmer box :shock: he did an awesome job! That alone should get him a box of cookies!

I am loving how the coping came out! The cuts and placement are purrfect!

Too bad the gunite crew were not as good as the tile crew!

Just got back from the stoneyard with another 35 sq. ft. of stacked stone the stone guy said we need. The PB was 32% off on her stacked stone 'calculations' (if they ever even took place).

P8300661-1.jpg

Grout went in today over all the tile except below the spa where they're still working on stacked stone.

P8300666-1.jpg

The curve of the spa is not fun for the stacked stone guy... he spent all day on the tile (he ripped the remainder off this morning and redid the entire thing) and those 3 rows of stacked stone.

P8300672-1.jpg

The spa is looking good. Tomorrow he'll put a thin piece of stone on the spillway and finish up that opening. We're debating on if that stone piece should be sealed or not (in all honesty our coping stone doesn't 'need' to be sealed), unsure since it will be in/under water most of the time...

P8300668-1.jpg

Today's overview.

The stone guy actually gave a time frame and said he'd be done by Friday... not sure what all there is to do for 3 full days, but, we'll see. Also it's hot out!

Question about stone! So, we hand selected our coping stone piece by piece... as in we went through three and a half palettes of stone to select our two (judged thickness, quality, and 'ugliness'). Do other people do this or are we insane?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I think it's smart your checking each piece for quality. I was short a pallet on my remodel and placed an order over the phone and did not go in person to take a look at it. I received a horrific pallet when delivered with peeling flagstone and non matching colors and had a heck of time returning it because the stone yard did not do exchanges on flagstone. Your pool is looking great! It's pretty similar to our pool that was recently remodeled exept we opted to do whole pieces instead of smaller pieces with the flagstone.

Yeah, we tossed out ~50% of the stone we went through into the 'nope' pile. A lot of it was characterless, some was punky, and some was too thick or too thin.

We measured each piece (sometimes in multiple areas) to determine it was within 1.75-2.25" thickness. Then wet it down to make sure it looked nice. Stoneyard guy was more than happy to help us out, hold up each piece, let us wet it and look at it, then put it in the 'nope' or 'yup' pile.

Gotta preach it to visitors that the coping is literally hand selected and hand crafted... fancy.

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stonework 99% done!

Well GUESS WHAT... you said you like 'em so here ya go, tons more photos! :-D

P9010689-1.jpg

The great wall of China is done. It's not as imposing as I thought it would be... it's pretty nice actually... and will look great at night with some light flickering off of it!

P9010686-1.jpg

The view from within the pool, neat! The spillway stone is awesome. It'll be so cool with the water cascading down from it.

P9010694-1.jpg

They set it nicely.

P9010691-1.jpg

I wonder how long it'll take from turning on the water to 'fill the spa' for the spillway to start waterfalling.

P9010687-1.jpg

Here's the fill tube. Just a piece of PVC, should we coat the tip with something?

P9010683-1.jpg

The stacked stone on the West side looks really nice... it'll be a great little seat with the lowered cement patio on that side.

P9010682-1.jpg

Here's the current overview. That spillway excites me!

I'll be gone till Tuesday, cheers till then.

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stonework 99% done!

The stone work on your pool is gorgeous!! We are getting ready to select stone for our grotto and your post about handpicking each piece made me smile. I told my husband I would love to do that, he looked at me like I was crazy. haha Please keep the pictures coming, love seeing the progress!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.