New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, end pix soon!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Plaster set for tomorrow 10/19!

PLEASE tell me you have a follow up email or text (something in writing) for all of the agreed things!!!

Yes you can fill pool first then spa. The MOST important thing is to NOT over fill the spa IF you fill it first. You do not want the water from the spa flowing down your pool walls. That can cause streaking if allowed.

Do you have the link I shared for the "plaster start up" printed out?

How exciting and scary at the same time!

Kim:kim:

Make sure to run this by the PB as they hold the warranty card! We sure don't want to mess that up!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Note the 30 days no swim depends on the start up method. Follow your PB's directions on this.

We had on PB that had it written into their start up directions:

-Once the water reaches middle of the skimmer JUMP IN and enjoy!

Loved it for the PO for sure! The water was very cold but they did it and loved it!

No plaster today as ~50mph winds decided to kick up around 4a and have stayed for the day. They're thinking tomorrow but it may be Friday. While the plaster was moved, the electrical and plumbing is being finalized right now... will ask if we can turn on the light tonight without water in the pool.

Our feral beach ball Wilson was thought to have moved on in the winds, but I found him wedged behind the raised bond beam and one of the planter pots. We brought him inside, you can all stop worrying :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - 10/21 Plaster DONE, Currently Filling!

The blowtorch was apparently to speed up drying some of the wet areas because it was a bit too 'juicy'. They used it in the one corner, and then used it again at the bottom of the pool after most of the rest was done... again, a blow torch was pretty far down on the list of expectations today.

Anyways, PIX!!!!!

211-1.jpg

The plaster team showed up nice and early, they quickly scraped down the pool, knocked off all the loose material, got a pump going to remove all the water and scooped all the junk out of the bottom. You can see the one dude in the back cut out the tile, popped in a new one, and grouted it in place.

212-1.jpg

They went around to all the returns and cut the pipe so they could put these one. Our returns in the pool as well as the spa are adjustable, but are flush with the plaster. I've always encountered the barnacle ones so these will be nice (just have to figure out how to use them). Also note the white paint they sprayed onto the exposed rebar, they went around and anywhere there was a hint of rebar or even a slightly deep cut, they sprayed a rustoleum product onto the gunite.

213-1.jpg

Plaster spewing into the pool. It had a much lower viscosity than I thought it would. Sort of like a melted frosty from Wendy's... they all had their nail shoes on at this point, those things are cool.

214-1.jpg

Really wet stuff, certainly nothing like the gunite which could be sculpted. They made quick work of it though and started shaping it. Good thing I haven't sealed the stone in/around the pool yet. It'll be a bit of a hassle to do some of it now, but, at least nothing else will be getting on the stone!

215-1.jpg

Just like the cement patio, they would start cutting edges and let it dry a bit, cut it again, and clean it all up. So white...

216-1.jpg

You can't see the flame, but here's the blow torch... he torched away at the plaster here in the shadowy corner. Okey dokey then. Fun to watch and listen to... anyone else encountered this? Kim seems surprised!

217-1.jpg

The crab is now officially master of his domain.

218-1.jpg

The spa officially finished. It's currently sitting there and will probably be filled.... tomorrow morning... 9ish I'm betting (after the pool is filled).

219-1.jpg

The pool officially finished. Now just need to......

21f-1.jpg

Fill it.

Since typing this up it has filled oh... 1-1.5ft and is already getting a pretty aqua blue. We've been instructed to add a bottle of Jack's Magic 'The Magenta Stuff' to the water once it touches the baja reef... I haven't looked at the bottle they gave us, just caught the name. The start up guy will be here on Sunday to start us up...

More pix of water later!

Love the critters! SO cute!

Remember the water might look at little green in the beginning. That IS normal! It will go away as the water gets balanced and settles into a routine.

Yeah, I have not seen a blowtorch before with plaster BUT it does kind of make sense if it was not drying as fast as they would like and it was as "wet" as you said. Will be interesting if anyone else has seen it before.

I'll be taking a sample once done filling and will have it tested.

Your 6 hour update-

PA210375-1.jpg

Fillin' up... nice and blue... I added that 'Magenta Stuff'...

PA210373-1.jpg

About an hour ago a massive cardboard recycling facility went up in flames about ~10mi away. It cast a massive wall of black smoke that blotted out the sun... but made a neat sunset as it dissipated into the air... gotta love our SoCal air quality.

What time did you get to bed?

LOVING the water color! So neat how the white plaster makes blue water!

Too lazy to go back through the thread so asking here...........I thought you bought a test kit? Am I thinking wrong? What test kit is your PB giving you?

Look at the pretty kitty watching the sunset-CUTE! :shock: on the place going up in flames! SCARY for sure!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - 10/22 Pool overfilled and plaster cracks! Help!

We're not out of this yet boys and girls! The curse of my PB continues! SO, after the pool filled to ~half the tile, I stopped it at 5:51:49, and dutifully began filling the spa as instructed at 5:53:00... started filling it... after a couple hours... it was noticed that the water level for some reason was not rising... which was odd because the spa is so small... we then took notice of the pool as the sun began to rise and we noticed was FILLING and was at the top of the tile line!

share2-1.jpg

I looked over at the equipment and noticed the sound of water... investigating I found water pouring out of a little plug at the bottom of the pump... so I plugged that...

share3-1.jpg

I noticed water gurgling noises in the pipes, so I turned the black handle (to where it is in the photo, before they were all pointing to the right) on the top (center valve, uppermost in image)... and that seemed to have stopped the flow to the pool. I also put the top onto the pump (it was sitting open along with the little plug). I opened the pump top a bit later on and it GUSHED out water. Also later on there's a hose spigot attached to the pipe coming out of the pipe leading off the top right of the photo and that starting spewing water as well (when the spa reached that height it seems). I closed that off and the spa seems to be filling fine now. I switched the other black valves to different sides as well just in case. I'm uncertain of why the pump gushed out water when I opened it (the big O-ring with handles top). My friends can open theirs, clean out the basket, and put it back in... right now I can't open it without releasing the river.

Ok, now then, in the spa, there are CRACKS in the plaster... the spa is filled now, and I shot these before it was filled (which we've done exactly as instructed)... I'm curious on your thoughts-

share4-1.jpg

I noticed this in the bottom of the spa when I first started filling it... and then this when it reached the seat... hairline spider threads of discoloration suggesting cracks wetting before the surface? Is this normal? I didn't see it in the pool... at least didn't notice it.

share5-1.jpg

Upon closer inspection around the wall that was yet submerged, I noticed several cracks in the plaster... is this normal?

share6-1.jpg

share7-1.jpg

Around one of the jets.

share8-1.jpg

Please help me out if you can... I'm very concerned about these things... though, it's likely just the lack of sleep...

We got ahold of the start up guy this morning (he answered his cell), and he said he'd come out at 11...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.