Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 yrs with pool no problems, now struggling

1. Back To Top    #1

2.5 yrs with pool no problems, now struggling

I have a 29,000 gallon swg pool. Having trouble holding chlorine level and CYA level seems to have dropped from 50 to 10 in 2 weeks. I had this issue a month or so ago and appeared to solve the problem but now here I am again. I am in Omaha, ne where we have had a few stretches of 95+ temp weeks with a cool week last week. Also a couple 2-4 inch rains in there. I have cartridge filters so do not normally remove water, but had to remove a couple inches twice. I have an in floor cleaning system and there is a strange off white to light brown film like substance turning up in the canister from floor drain. Pool has been very clear and no evidence of any algae in pool or in any other components of the system. the last two weeks but I have to run chlorinator at 100% way more than the normal 12 run time at 80% I have run it for last 2 years. I'm at a loss. Please help.Thanks

reading 6/24
    TC. 2.5
    FC. 2.5
    ph. 7.5
    alkal. 110
    calc hard. 100
    cya. 45

readings 07/08
    TC. .2
    FC. .0
    ph. 7.4
    alkal. 105
    calc hard. 100
    CYA. 10
    29,000 gal vinyl with in floor cleaning system
    18'x36', intellitouch, cartridge filters
    swg intellichlor pentair

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2.5 yrs with pool no problems, now struggling

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Provided the numbers are all from one of our recommended test kits, and you're confident in the testing, what I would do is restore your CYA to 40 ppm for now and get chlorine to around 5 ppm FC using chlorinating liquid.

Then perform the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) found here Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Algae is not visible until it gets bad, so this test can rule algae out or in and is easy/quick to do.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much for your reply. I am new to this site. I do not have the test kit. Can u tell me which one is your "recommended" kit? My readings are unfortunately from the often incorrect pool store. They have never been this bad though. I will have to try your suggestion tomorrow. I shocked the pool earlier tonight as a first attempt before finding this site. Can you explain SLAM further?
    swg intellichlor pentair

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup, we can. Here is the link to our recommended testkits:
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Once you have one of those kits and can reliably test FC, here is the SLAM info: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

- - - Updated - - -

You can't do the OCLT with pool store results.

Order the testkit and add 1/2-3/4 jug of bleach everyday until it arrives. We will get your pool PERFECT!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

My test kit of choice is the TF-100. It is the best value, most tests for the money. I buy mine at TFTestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Ordered TF-100 today but will be a few days. Took pool water to different store today just to check and they say CYA at 40 and FC at 7.5. I shocked with about 9 lbs 68% cal hypo last night at about 7:00 PM. Frustrating to see such a difference in CYA readings. Can't wait until test kit gets here.

Pool slightly cloudy. Can still see bottom pretty well. Tons of tiny bubbles on pool walls as well. Any thoughts and/or suggestions until I get the kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good decision getting the kit ordered Bleach is all you need until your get the kit. No more CalHypo. No more anything but bleach. Keep reporting the pH and free chlorine (FC)

If the good test kit is anymore than a few days away, you need to test your chlorine and keep it at 3 ppm FC bare minimum, preferable around 5 ppm FC. If you don't have a test kit now, you can buy a little $10 one that does just FC and pH. It will have little bottles inside. Not test strips. We call those guessstrips and use them to light cigars.

Your pool is pretty big, so I would add about 3/4 to 1 gallon per day of 8.25% bleach. Buy only a type that has the % on it. Only plain, unscented (not splashless) bleach. Pool chlorinating liquid is the same thing if you prefer that, it may be 10% or 12.5%. In either case, it will have a manufacture date such as e.g. 16120 which means 2016 and the 120th day of the year (29-Apr-2016). Buy the freshest stuff.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

8. Back To Top    #8

Still waiting on test kit. Should be here tomorrow. I believe my FC is about 1.5 based on strip test and pool store.

Need some help. Pool math says I need 332 oz of 6.0% bleach to get to FC 7.0. Am I doing this correctly? How i.e. much bleach should I add and any advice on how (where in pool and direct or diluted in bucket???) to add the bleach.
    swg intellichlor pentair

9. Back To Top    #9

332oz is correct! Add it very slowly in front of a return jet. Then use a brush to agitate the water around that area.

Tomorrow, when you get your kit, we will know so much more!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Check out the recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School for how to add chemicals.

Check your bleach strength I am not sure 6% is available anywhere anymore.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. I am looking at 10% sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlorine) at Walmart. Is this stuff okay?
    swg intellichlor pentair

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Yep. Folks been using it all summer. Just make sure it isn't too old. Check the datecode.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

And be sure to change that % in PoolMath to calculate your dosage.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you all so much. Hope to get test kit tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be back once I get readings and do overnight free chlorine test. hope to solve this chlorine loss once and for all.
    swg intellichlor pentair

15. Back To Top    #15

You will. We promise. Once you have your kit you will SO have this!!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    You will. We promise. Once you have your kit you will SO have this!!!
    +1 to that!!

Occasionally you will see 12.5% and it's less weight to lug around.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm back. Got kit. TF-100. Added some liquid chlorine about 1.5 hrs ago and waited an hour to test. Here are my readings. Did some of them twice to make sure as a first timer.

FC. 8.0, 9.0 first time
    CC. 0.5 both times
    TC. 8.5, 9.5 first time
    CYA. 50 and 60, boh times right in between 50 and 60
    calc. 350
    ph. 7.8. (I struggle some with color differences )
    TA. 140, 150 first time. (Is any red or does it have to be true red)
    salt. No reading now but at 3,200 last couple checks

going to do OFCLT

do I need to adjust anything right now?
    swg intellichlor pentair

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Corysm View Post
    I'm back. Got kit. TF-100. Added some liquid chlorine about 1.5 hrs ago and waited an hour to test. Here are my readings. Did some of them twice to make sure as a first timer.

FC. 8.0, 9.0 first time
    CC. 0.5 both times
    TC. 8.5, 9.5 first time
    CYA. 50 and 60, boh times right in between 50 and 60
    calc. 350
    ph. 7.8. (I struggle some with color differences )
    TA. 140, 150 first time. (Is any red or does it have to be true red)
    salt. No reading now but at 3,200 last couple checks

going to do OFCLT

do I need to adjust anything right now?
    No, just leave it for now- your FC is high enough to survive till tomorrow. Please make sure you take your measurements when the sun doesn't shine as it's the primary natural reason for FC loss and it will invalidate your OCLT. OCLT simply tries to determine if you're losing chlorine due to something else besides sunlight.

When testing TA you count drops until the next one doesn't make it more red. That would be the last one and it doesn't count. So if after 15th drop color doesn't change it would mean 140.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

There's a super-experienced TFPer who calls it Barbie pink and I go with that, not the dark pink that preceeds it. It can depend on your water a bit.

+1 for Max2k's comments above

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok, I'm back. Life got a bit crazy today so didn't have time to do anything about my readings but here are my OCLT results.

Last night (9:40 PM) as shared above

FC. 8.0
    CC. 0.5
    TC. 8.5
    ph. 7.8
    TA. 140
    CYA. 50

5:40 AM this morning

FC. 5.0
    CC. 0.5
    TC. 5.5
    ph. 7.8
    TA. 140
    CYA. 50

salt 3,200
    calc. 260

What do I do? I assume slam.

Can an I delay slam and just keep chlorine at a reasonable level for a couple days or is it not safe? I have a couple pool party's planned for next couple days. Great timing eh.

I ran SWG all day and added chlorine couple of hours ago just to keep chlorine at reasonable level. it just tested 6.5, 0.5, and 7.0. I probably put enough ( about 3/4 gallon) in to raise it about 1.5 to 2.0 tonight and swg at 80% ran for about 12 hrs today ( not sure how much it would add) but I guess this means I lost about 3 to 4 today. Kind of confused because thought I'd lose more during day than night.

Please advise away. I am definitely looking for guidance.
    swg intellichlor pentair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast