Filter Issues

Jul 8, 2016
Indianapolis
Hi all. I'm a really new pool opener, but not totally ignorant to mechanics and water chemistry as I had a job on a pool route some years ago. However, thanks in advance for any advice you can give me about my filter issue.

The deal is that when I set the multi-port valve to backwash to backwash the filter, no water is expelled out of the backwash hose - same thing when I checked it on waste...recirculate works fine. So when I backwash, the psi does drop a little, but after I rinse and go back to filter mode, the returns blast what appears to be sand back into the pool.

I know this means I probably have a broken lateral (at least), but I was wondering if anyone might advise as to why no water comes out of the backwash hose when in the backwash setting?

I was curious if someone's expertise might help guide me before I remove the valve, sand, etc., and inspect inside the filter.

Someone more experienced than me will come along. But in the meantime Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here.

I would start by making sure there's no blockage in the waste line, by removing the fittings and hose on the waste output, stand aside and briefly run the pump with the filter in waste mode. If nothing flows, then I'd release any pressure off the system (if pump below pool, close valves to pool) and then unbolt the diverter and lift it off to see if it's plugged with something.

I'm assuming that the multiport valve handle is normal, you turn off the pump when changing its position, you fully depress the handle before turning it, and always turn it the same direction (usually clockwise is handiest).

Sincere thanks. I'll try this in the morning.

- - - Updated - - -

I just moved in here and have never seen water expel out of the backwash hose like it's supposed to. But everything else about the pool is fine...chemistry, filtration, etc. I just don't know why water isn't coming out of the filter? Thanks for your response...I'll check the spider gasket tomorrow and check back.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll do this tomorrow Dave. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.