Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boric acid --Powder or Granules?

1. Back To Top    #1

Boric acid --Powder or Granules?

Ok, I am close to getting everything stable and in the correct range. I'm pretty sure I want to add borate. I see in Chemistry 201 some brand names are mentioned. Is there a difference in these products or any commercially produced boric acid? I found a place mentioned on a thread on TFP (somewhere) that mentioned this company, DudaDiesel.com. IF, if this is right product, which do I use the granulated form or powder? Pricing came out for my pool to less than $10 difference of Borax and MA. Here are links to what I found: http://www.dudadiesel.com/img/items/boric15f_255_L.jpg and http://www.dudadiesel.com/img/items/borp5f_300_L.jpg
    AG, Intex 18' x48" Easy Set pool( =/- 5455 gal)
    Intex SF80110 sand filter & SWG ECO 7110, Hayward AquaCritter
    Well water, location is north Texas, usually up from late May to Oct.
    Taylor TF-100 test kit, TDS Digital Salinity meter and Taylor salt kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Boric acid --Powder or Granules?

You want granulated form, powder is too fine.

Even if the boric acid is more expensive, use it. The borax/MA method is a pain in the behind and many people regret using it because of the wild pH swings caused by the borax. One user clogged up his sand filter with calcium scale because the pH got too high.

Boric acid is a weak acid and it readily and easily dissolves in water. Your pH drop from adding it will be minimal. And you can add it all in one batch (or two if you prefer to brush in between). It's just so much easier it's worth the little extra hassle to buy boric acid online.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm the user that clogged up my filter using borax/MA to borate my pool. It wasn't the end of the world, but I certainly would avoid it if I could do it over again. I was able to get MA for $4 a gallon and borax at walmart for $3.97 for a 65oz box. 5gallons of MA and 15 boxes of borax worked out to about $80 in stuff. Plus tax. I could have gotten a 55 gallon drum shipped tax free from duda diesel for I think it was $88 when I looked.

from what I've heard, the powder can float on the water. It's better to get the granules because they sink.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

4. Back To Top    #4

So i guess lots of sweeping with granules?
    ;(

5. Back To Top    #5

If you add by broadcasting the boric acid around the pool a few pounds at a time, it's little work at all. I added a total of 38lbs of boric acid by pouring in 19lbs in at a time and sweeping in between (I also had my suction cleaner running). I used my DE scoop which held ~ 2lbs to scoop up the boric acid granules and then I would sprinkle them around the edges of the pool. I brushed twice. It took about 45mins worth of time to add everything.

It's really quite simple and easy.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I ordered granular, it's on the way.😉

7. Back To Top    #7

Easiest way was to just add it in front of return with pool pump on. Dissolves pretty quickly. If some ends up on the bottom of pool a quick brush will take care of it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll add a little bit of experience using the powder form to this thread.

If you have a choice between granular and powder, select the granular form.

I was able to pickup the powder form locally to save on shipping so I used that for my pool. I had zero problems using the powder form, but there potentially could be an issue if there is any wind. Without any wind, I was able to mix it with a 5 gallon bucket half filled with water and poured over a return. I did this several times. I would not advise to broadcast into the pool water as the powder.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I'll add a little bit of experience using the powder form to this thread.

If you have a choice between granular and powder, select the granular form.

I was able to pickup the powder form locally to save on shipping so I used that for my pool. I had zero problems using the powder form, but there potentially could be an issue if there is any wind. Without any wind, I was able to mix it with a 5 gallon bucket half filled with water and poured over a return. I did this several times. I would not advise to broadcast into the pool water as the powder.
    Thanks. It's almost always windy here.